email: roadarch@outlook.com

South Dakota Car Showrooms & Dealerships

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Motor Service Company Building
Rapid City, SD
The Motor Service Company Building was built in 1929 as a Cadillac dealership. Over the years, REO, Pontiac, Studebaker, Land Rover, Jaguar, Alfa, MG and Triumph were sold here. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was still being used as a car dealership in 2008. The building now houses a chiropractic office. The dealership signs remain. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

former dealership
Rapid City, SD
former dealership
Rapid City, SD
This former dealership on the left was built in 1948 for Black Hills Oldsmobile-Cadillac. The dealership operated there until at least 1967. The building now houses the Hay Camp Brewing Company. [map]

This former dealership on the right was built in 1960 for Dries Motor Co., a Volkswagen dealer. By 1971, it was housing Rushmore Volkswagen. The building now houses SalonCentric. [map]

former dealership
Rapid City, SD
This former dealership was housing Raymond Motor Co. a Chrysler-Plymouth dealer in 1937. I don't know if that was the original occupant. By 1939, the building was housing B.A. Stewart Dodge. In 1949, it housed a Packard dealer. By 1953, it was housing the Wilkins & Brekhus Motor Co., a Chrysler dealer. The building now houses law offices. [map]

Mustang Sally's
Deadwood, SD
Mustang Sally's, a casino and sports bar, occupies what is known as the Black Hills Motors Building. It was built in 1930-1934 for car dealership and garage. A Texaco gas station was added in the late 1940s or early 1950s. Several other dealerships occupied the building including the Le Mar Motor Company which sold Buicks from the late 1950s through 1966. The Texaco station was still there then. There were originally two bays but one was removed when the road was widened around 1980. In later years, a Sears catalog store and body shop were located here. By 1984, the Jolly Jug liquor store moved in. That was the previous tenant before Mustang Sally's. [night photo thanks Steve Silsby] [map]

Car Showrooms
Main Page