San Diego Area Art Deco & Streamline Moderne Buildings (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

former Top's Supper Club [gone]
San Diego, CA


2016: 2018:
Top's Supper Club was built in 1939 and operated until 1964. After that, the building housed Miyako, a Japanese steakhouse until 1975. The building was renovated from 1977-1981 and housed the Fat City Steakhouse & Tropical Cafe, China Camp, and Denny's. These photos are from 2010. The building was demolished in 2014. A Hilton Garden Inn was built on the site and completed in 2016. There is a simulation of the original Top's entrance. The Fat City sign and the glass block panel were saved before the building was demolished. For more, see this website. [2010 photos thanks Gregory May] [map]

San Diego City and County Administration Building
San Diego, CA
The San Diego City and County Administration Building was built from 1936-1938. In 1964, the City moved its offices to another location. This building still houses the San Diego County Administration Center. The "Guardian of Water" sculpture is located in front of the Administration Building. The granite sculpture/fountain was created from 1937-1939 by Donal Hord. It features a 13-foot-tall Pioneer woman holding a water jug. The base of the fountain features dolphins, fish, sea snails, and nudes pouring water from jars over a dam into a citrus orchard. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Municipal Gymnasium
San Diego, CA
Ford Building
San Diego, CA
The Municipal Gymnasium was built in 1935 in Balboa Park for the California Pacific International Exposition. The building was known as the Palace of Electricity and Varied Industries. During World War II, the gym was used by the Navy. It is used as a gym today. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Ford Building was also built for the California Pacific International Exposition. It was designed by Walter Dorwin Teague and built for the Ford Motor Company. Since 1980, the building has housed the San Diego Air & Space Museum. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

4304 Park Blvd.
San Diego, CA
I don't know if this building at 4304 Park Blvd. was built in the Art Deco style or if it was remodeled recently to look this way. I believe it was the latter. The building currently houses Steven Wendroff, CPA. It housed the Frank the Train Man store from 1943 until it moved down the block street around 1987. At that point, Mission Federal Credit Union moved into the building. The building now houses accounting offices. The Frank the Train Man sign is still installed on the building and lit at night. In 1989, a mural was painted on the back of the building to memorialize the model train store. For more, see this website. [map]

former Piggly Wiggly
San Diego, CA


This former Piggly Wiggly supermarket housed Jaycee's Market from at least 2008 until 2014. Although the building style looks older, it was supposedly built in 1940. The right part of the building which houses the Golden Hill Cafe is probably from the 1940s. The supermarket has housed Krisp Beverages + Natural Foods since 2014. The building was repainted at that time. [map]

3090 Polk Ave. [gone]
San Diego, CA
This building at 3090 Polk Ave. was built in 1942. It housed a church and the Irenic which featured live entertainment. It was demolished in 2022.

San Diego, CA
This house was built in 1949. [map]

El Primero Hotel
Chula Vista, CA
The El Primero Hotel was built in 1930. It was restored in 2004 and is now known as the El Primero Boutique Bed and Breakfast Hotel. The original sign has been saved and is on display in the hotel's courtyard. For more, see this website. [map]

former Metro Diner
Escondido, CA
Sixth Church of Christ, Scientist
San Diego, CA
The Metro Diner occupied this building from 2013-2014. This photo is from 2014. By 2015, the building was housing Suzy Q's Diner. The building was built in 1947. Previously, it housed the Metaphor Cafe and, before that, a dry cleaners. Does anyone know what was here originally? [map]

The Sixth Church of Christ, Scientist building appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

former First National Trust and Savings Bank [gone]
La Mesa, CA
The First National Trust and Savings Bank was built in 1942. In 2006, it housed the Grossmont Escrow Co. The building last housed Randall Lamb, a consulting and engineering services firm. After a fire in 2020, the building was demolished.