email: roadarch@outlook.com

Virginia Movie Theatres

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

former Arlington Theatre
Arlington, VA
The Arlington Theatre was designed by Fred Bishop who is also responsible for the Byrd Theatre in Richmond (see above). The Arlington was built in 1940 in the Art Deco style. It was part of the Arlington Recreation Center which included a bowling alley on the upper floors (now a Tae Kwon Do school and art studios). It was a white-only establishment until 1963. The building was also the headquaters for the American Nazi Party. The theatre closed in 1975 and was converted in 1985 into the Cinema 'N' Drafthouse. Patrons can enjoy sandwiches, pizza, popcorn and beer while they watch the second-run movies in a lounge-like setting. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Ashland Theatre
Ashland, VA
Cameo Theatre
Bristol, VA
The Ashland Theatre was built in 1947 and was restored in the late 1990s. Currently, it is only open for special events. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Cameo Theatre was built in 1925. It has been closed for many years. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Cape Charles Theatres:
Palace Theatre

Buchanan Theatre
Buchanan, VA
Island Roxy Theatre
Chincoteague, VA
Coeburn Theatre
Coeburn, VA
The Buchanan Theatre opened around 1919. It was previously known as the Star Theatre. The theatre closed in 1985. It has been restored and reopened around 2002. For more, see this website. [map]

The Island Roxy Theatre was built in 1945. It features Misty's hoofprints in the sidewalk out front. The marquee has been severely damaged when this photo was taken in 2005. It has since been repaired. For more, see this website. [map]

The Coeburn Theatre opened in 1947 and closed in 1970. The building now houses the Coeburn High School Alumni Association and a bingo hall. For more, see this website. [map]

State Theatre
Culpeper, VA
North Theatre
Danville, VA
The State Theatre was built in 1938 as a vaudeville/movie house and was originally known as the Pitts Theatre. Around 1970, the theatre became known as the State Theatre. It closed in 1993. The restoration of the theatre and conversion to a cultural arts center began in 2007. This photo is from 2010. The theatre reopened in 2013. For more, see these websites: 1, 2 and 3. [map]

The North Theatre opened in 1947 and closed in 1976. After that, it was used as an auction house, various churches, and from 1990-2003 as Carolyn's House of Flowers. In 2003, it was restored as a theatre and now features classic movies and theatrical productions. It reopened in 2005. For more, see this website. [map]

Henrico Theatre
Highland Springs, VA
The Henrico Theatre was built in 1938 and closed in 1996. In 1999, Henrico County bought the theatre and began restoring it. It reopened in 2007 and is now used for live performances and film. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Beacon Theatre
Hopewell, VA
Downtown
Cinema Theatre
Mount Airy, VA
The Beacon Theatre opened in 1928 and closed in 1981. Restoration was begun in 1987 and the theatre reopened in 2005. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Downtown Cinema Theatre opened in 1938 as the Earle Theatre. It closed in 1980. The building was donated to the Surry Arts Council which has reopened the theatre. This photo is from 2010. By 2013, the name on the marquee had been changed to Earle. For more, see this website. [map]

Village Theatre
Newport News, VA
Naro Expanded Theatre
Norfolk, VA
The Village Theatre opened in 1935. In 1994, it became a performing arts center and is now known as the Peninsula Community Theatre. It still has the original neon marquee. For more, see this website. [map]

The Naro Expanded Theatre opened in 1936 as the Colley Theatre. In the mid-1960s, it was purchased by Robert Levine, who renamed the theatre after his father and mother, Nathan and Rose. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Onancock Theatres:
Roseland Theatre

Pearis Theatre
Pearisburg, VA
Commodore Theatre
Portsmouth, VA
The Pearis Theatre opened in 1940 but I don't think it has shown movies for years. For more, see this website. [map]

The Commodore Theatre was built in 1945, designed by John J. Zink. It closed in 1975 and was restored and reopened in 1987. It features "dinner and a movie" and has a restaurant/bar inside. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Pulaski Theatres:
Pulaski Theatre

Byrd Theatre
Richmond, VA
The Byrd Theatre was designed by Fred Bishop and opened in 1928. He was responsible for many other buildings and theatres in FL and VA, including the Arlington Theatre in Arlington, VA (see above). The Byrd was done in the French Empire style and its lush interior features include the extensive use of marble, crystal chandeliers, velvet drapes, and murals based on Greek mythology. This theatre was never closed and only minor alterations have been made. The Wurlitzer organ is played on Saturday nights. Some believe the Byrd is haunted by the first theater manager's ghost. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Carpenter Theatre
Richmond, VA
The Carpenter Theatre was built in 1928 as a Loew's movie palace. It was designed by John Eberson. The theatre closed in 1979 and was converted into Carpenter Center in 1983. The lush, atmospheric interior has been preserved. The theatre closed again in 2004 for a $25 million renovation and reopened in 2009. It is now known as the Dominion Arts Center Carpenter Theatre. For more, see this website. [map]

More Richmond Theatres:
National Theatre
Hippodrome Theatre
Robinson Theatre

Roanoke Theatres:
Grandin Theatre

Staunton Theatres:
Dixie Theatre
Visulite Cinema

Millwald Theatre
Wytheville, VA
The Millwald Theatre opened in 1928. It closed in 2006 and now houses a church. For more, see this website. [map]

Theatres
Main Page