email: roadarch@outlook.com

Pennsylvania Movie Theatres (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Majestic Theatre
Gettysburg, PA
Keswick Theatre
Glenside, PA
The Majestic Theatre opened in 1925 as a silent movie and vaudeville theater. In 1984, it was divided into a triplex. In 2005, the theatre was renovated and converted into a performing arts center. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

The Keswick Theatre was designed by Horace Tumbauer and opened in 1928. In 1980, the theatre closed and faced demolition. Fortunately, it was saved and is now used as a performing arts center. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Palace Theatre
Greensburg, PA
The Palace Theatre opened in 1926 as the Manos Theatre. In 1991, it reopened as the Palace Theatre Center for the Performing Arts. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Hanover Theatre
Hanover, PA
The Hanover Theatre opened in 1928 as the State Theatre. It has been closed since 1986. There are plans to renovate the building as a live performance venue. For more, see this website. [map]

Movies Theatre
Hellertown, PA
The Movies Theatre was known as the Sauconia Theatre when it opened in 1940. The name was changed in 1968 and the theatre closed around 2001. In 2002, there was talk of converting the building into a community center. These photos are from 2006. In 2015, the building was remodeled and converted into retail use. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Hiway Theatre
Jenkintown, PA
Campus Theatre
Lewisburg, PA
The Hiway Theatre was built in 1913 as the Jenkintown Auditorium. It was remodeled in 1925. In 1936, the theatre was remodeled again and renamed the York Road Theatre. It became the Hiway Theatre in 1940. In 2011, the blade sign was installed. It is a replica of the sign that was there from 1940 until the 1980s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Campus Theatre opened in 1941. The exterior colors and bison relief relate the theatre to nearby Buckness University. The marquee features giant chrome letters which are lit with green neon at night. The interior features Art Deco details including murals and light fixtures. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Lewistown Theatres:
Embassy Theatre

Media Theatres:
Media Theatre

West Shore Theatre
New Cumberland, PA
The West Shore Theatre opened in 1940 and is still in operation. It was designed by William Harold Lee. The theatre's name is derived from its location on the west side of the Susquehanna River. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Roxy Theatre
Northampton, PA
The Roxy Theatre opened in 1921 as the Lyric Theatre, a vaudeville theatre. "Lyric" is still inscribed above the spectacular incandescent marquee. The theatre was redesigned in the Art Deco style and reopened as the Roxy Theatre in 1933. It was restored in 1970 and again in 1988. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Latonia Theatre
Oil City, PA
The Latonia Theatre was built in the late 1920s and closed in 1969. It was converted into a furniture store in 1972. These photos are from 2007. In 2008, the building was restored. The upper floors now house a ballroom and conference center. The ground floor houses retail stores. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

New Granada Theatre
Pittsburgh, PA
2007:

2012:
The New Granada Theatre was designed by Louis A. S. Bellinger. It opened in 1928 as the Pythian Temple. It was remodeled in 1937-1938 as the New Granada Theatre and was used for movies and jazz performances. It has been closed since the 1960s or 1970s. Restoration work began in 2009 but progress has been slow. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Garden Theatre
Pittsburgh, PA
The Garden Theatre was designed by Thomas H. Scott and opened in 1914. The theatre switched to adult films in 1972 and eventually closed in 2007. It has been vacant since then. The sign was removed around 2013 while the facade was being restored. There are plans to restore and reinstall the sign. As of 2016, restoration work was still going on. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Sayre Theatres:
Sayre Theatre

Tower Theatre
Upper Darby, PA
Watson Theatre
Watsontown, PA
The Tower Theatre was built in 1927. It was originally a vaudeville hall and added movies in the late 1930s/early 1940s. In the early 1970s, the Tower was converted into a concert hall. For more, see this website. [map]

The Watson Theatre opened in 1940, replacing the Lyceum Theatre which was destroyed in a fire. For more, see this website. [map]

Wayne Theatres:
Anthony Wayne Theatre

Arcadia Theatre
Wellsboro, PA
Comerford Theatre
Wilkes-Barre, PA
The Arcadia Theatre opened in 1921 with silent movies. In 1929, the theatre switched to "talkies". In 1997, the theatre was split into four screens. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

The Comerford Theatre opened in 1938. It became the Paramount Theatre in the 1940s. The theatre closed for the final time in 1976. The lobby was altered and occupied for various purposes, including a diner and a produce stand. The building was saved from demolition by community efforts. The fašade, featuring terracotta tile and green marble, was restored. The theatre became the Kirby Center for the Performing Arts in 1986 and now offers live entertainment. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Yeadon Theatres:
Yeadon Theatre

PA (page 1) Theatres
Main Page