email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Pennsylvania Movie Theatres (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Nineteenth Street Theatre
Allentown, PA
The Nineteenth Street Theatre opened in 1928 as a vaudeville house and later began showing movies. Since 1957, the theatre has been used for plays put on by the Civic Theatre of Allentown. Art films are also screened here. The original Moller Deluxe pipe organ is still in use. The marquee was restored in 1994. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Franklin Theatre
Allentown, PA
Ambler Theatre
Ambler, PA
The Franklin Theatre opened in 1913. It was renamed the Jennette Theatre in the 1950s. It screened art films and later porn films. Later, it was refurbished and reopened as the Franklin Theatre. This photo is from 2009. The building now houses a church. For more, see this website. [map]

The Ambler Theatre was built in 1928 as the Ambler Warner Theatre. It closed around 1984. After an extensive renovation, it reopened in 2003 as a twin theatre. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Granada Theatre [gone]
Beaver Falls, PA
Capitol Theatre
Bloomsburg, PA
The Granada Theatre was designed by Michael J. DeAngelis as a Spanish/Moorish atmospheric theatre. It opened in 1931 and closed in 1960. The interior was altered for use as a mini-mall in the early 1970s. The building was vacant when these photos were taken in 2007. In 2010, the building was demolished. For more, see this website.

The Capitol Theatre opened in 1929 and closed around 1999. In 2008, work began to convert the building into student housing. For more, see this website. [map]

State Theatre
Boyertown, PA
Penn Theatre
Butler, PA
The State Theatre opened in 1912 as the Lyric Theatre. It was renamed in 1934. This theatre has been in continuous operation. For more, see this website. [map]

The Penn Theatre opened in 1938. In later years, it was known as the Penn Cinemas. It has been vacant since 2001. For more, see this website. [map]

Carlisle Theatre
Carlisle, PA
The Carlisle Theatre was built in 1939 as the Comerford Theatre. It closed in 1986. From 1991-1993, the theatre was restored and now features live performances, community events, and films. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Coyle Theatre
Charleroi, PA
Orpheum Theatre
Clarion, PA
Angela Theatre
Coaldale, PA
The Coyle Theatre opened in 1895 as a vaudeville venue. It later switched to films. It has been closed since 1999. For more, see this website. [map]

The Orpheum Theatre was built in 1925 and closed in 1998. This photo is from 2005. The building has housed several retail stores since then. It is currently occupied by the Ecoasis Salon and Wellness Studio. For more, see this website. [map]

The Angela Theatre opened in 1949. It closed around 1970 and was abandoned until 1997. During restoration at that point, the interior had to be rebuilt. The auditorium was split into three screens. The theatre reopened in 1999. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Coudersport Theatre
Coudersport, PA
County Theatre
Doylestown, PA
The Coudersport Theatre opened in 1923 and it still operates as a single screen. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The County Theatre was designed by Silverman and Levy and built in 1938. It is still in operation. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

State Theatre
Easton, PA
The State Theatre opened in 1927 in this remodeled bank building from 1873. In the late 1960s, the theatre screened "adult movies" and in the 1970s it was used for rock concerts. After restoration in the 1980s and 1990s, the theatre now a performing arts venue which occasionally shows movies. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Emmaus Theatres:
Emmaus Theatre

Warner Theatre
Erie, PA
The Warner Theatre was designed by Rapp & Rapp and opened in 1931. It has remained in operation since then. The theatre now houses the Erie Civic Center for the Performing Arts. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Strand Theatre
Erie, PA
2005: 2010:
The Strand Theatre was designed by Victor A. Rigaumont and opened in 1948. It was a Cinerama theatre from around 1962-1964. In 1983, the Erie Playhouse took over the building which is now used for live performances. The building was remodeled in 1993 and 2007. In 2010, the marquee and front doors were replaced. The squares on the facade were also altered and the horizontal stripes are now gone. For more, see this website. [map]

Everett Theatres:
Everett Theatre

PA (page 2) Theatres
Main Page