email: roadarch@outlook.com

Portland Movie Theatres

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Aladdin Theatre
Portland, OR
Roseway Theatre
Portland, OR
The Aladdin Theatre opened in the late 1920s as Geller's Theater which featured vaudeville acts. In the 1930s, it began showing movies and was renamed the Aladdin. In 1993, the Aladdin was renovated and now hosts concerts and live performances. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Roseway Theatre opened in 1925 and is still operating. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Guild Theatre
Portland, OR
The Guild Theatre was originally known as the Taylor Theatre. It was renamed the Guild around 1948. It closed in 2006 and remains vacant. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Bagdad Theatre
Portland, OR
The Bagdad Theatre was built by Universal Pictures in 1927. It featured vaudeville and movies. The theatre is now part movie house and part restaurant/bar. For more, see this website. [map]

Star Theatre
Portland, OR
The Star Theatre opened in 1911 as the Princess Theatre. It became the Star Theater in 1939. In the 1940s, it became a live burlesque theater. In the late 1960s, the Star Theater became an adult theater. It closed in 1985. In 2002, the building housed Vivid, a restaurant and nightclub. It operated as a couple of other nightclubs after that. Since 2011, the theatre has been used as a live performance venue. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Laurelhurst Theatre
Portland, OR
The Laurelhurst Theatre opened in 1923. It was remodeled in 1953 and the entrance was relocated at that point. This sign and the facade are probably from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Portland Theatre
Portland, OR
Paris Theatre
Portland, OR
The Portland Theatre was designed by Rapp & Rapp and opened in 1928. Around 1929, it was sold and renamed the Paramount Theatre. When it was restored in the mid-1980s, the name was changed back to the Portland Theatre. In 1984, the theatre was renamed the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall. It now houses the Oregon Symphony. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Paris Theatre was built in 1890 as the Third Avenue Theatre. It became the Paris Theatre sometime after 1950. Since 2007, the theatre has showing porn films. For more, see this website. [map]

Moreland Theatre
Portland, OR
Hollywood Theatre
Portland, OR
The Moreland Theatre opened in 1926 featuring vaudeville and silent films. It continues today as a movie house. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Hollywood Theatre opened in 1926 and is still operating. For more, see this website. [map]

Avalon Theatre
Portland, OR
The Avalon Theatre opened in 1913 as the Sunnyside Theatre. In 1935, it was renamed the Avalon. In 1987, it became the Avalon Theatre and Game Room, featuring a video arcade in addition to movies. For more, see this website. [map]

Oregon Theatres Theatres
Main Page