email: roadarch@outlook.com

Ohio Movie Theatres (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Mayland Theatre
Mayfield Heights, OH
The Mayland Theatre was built in 1948, as part of a shopping strip with shops at both ends. In 1972, it was twinplexed. It closed in the early 1990s. When it became a Barnes & Noble in 1992, the ticket booth was removed and the interior was gutted. The theatre was originally orange and cream but was repainted green and cream. Barnes and Noble moved out in 1999. When these photos were taken in 2005, the building was still vacant. Later, it housed the Boneyard Beer Farm and Mesquite Grill. In 2014, it reopened as the Play restaurant. For more, see this website. [map]

Midland Theatre
Newark, OH
The Midland Theatre was designed by Harry C. Holbrook in a Spanish style. It opened in 1928 and closed in 1978. There was talk of demolishing the theatre. However, in 1992, the Longaberger Company stepped in and began an eight-year, $8.5 million restoration. There is a seated statue of Mark Twain in front of the theatre that was donated by Hal Holbrook. For more, see this website. [map]

New Philadelphia:
Quaker Theatre

North Baltimore:
Virginia Theatre: 1, 2

Norwalk Theatre
Norwalk, OH
The Norwalk Theatre was designed by John Eberson as part of the Schine Theater chain in 1941. The Norwalk has the largest marquee in Ohio. It was renamed the Towne & Country Theater in 1974. In 2003, the building was put up for sale. These photos are from 2009. The theatre closed in 2011 and is still looking for a buyer. For more, see this website. [map]

Apollo Theatre
Oberlin, OH
The Apollo Theatre opened in 1916. It was expanded and updated in the late 1920s. The marquee was built in 1950. When these photos were taken in 2012, the building and sign were being restored. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Miami Western Theatre
Oxford, OH
Clinton Theatre
Port Clinton, OH
The Miami Western Theatre operated from 1938 to 1988. In 1993, it became the First Run restaurant and bar. It is now known as the Brick Street Bar. For more, see this website. [map]

The Clinton Theatre opened in 1947 and closed in the 1970s. It now houses Ohler & Holzhauer Plumbing Supply. For more, see this website.

Sandusky:
State Theatre

Strand Theatre
Sebring, OH
The Strand Theatre was built as the Sebring Opera House. It began showing movies in the 1920s. The building now houses the Sebring Historical Society. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Sidney Theatre
Sidney, OH
Regent Theatre
Springfield, OH
State Theatre
Springfield, OH
The Sidney Theatre was originally known as the Ohio Theatre. It's not clear when it was built but it was open by at least 1941. This marquee may be from that time. The theatre closed in 2004. In 2009, it reopened as a performing arts center. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Regent Theatre opened in 1919 as a vaudeville theatre. This marquee was probably designed at the same time as those of the Sidney Theatre and Murphy Theatre. All three theatre names and signs have six letters. The Regent Theatre closed in 1992 and has been vacant since then. For more, see this website. [map]

The State Theatre opened in 1927 and remained in operation until 1990. The theatre is now used for live performances, private events, and screening of silent movies. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

St. Marys Theatre
St. Marys, OH
Ritz Theatre
Tiffin, OH
The St. Marys Theatre opened as the Grand Opera House in 1895. It was known as the New Broad Theatre sometime in the 1930s and then the name was changed to the St. Marys Theatre. This marquee is probably from the 1930s or 1940s. The theatre is used for movies and live performances. For more, see this website. [map]

The Ritz Theatre was designed by the Ritzler Brothers and opened in 1928. It was restored in the late 1980s and reopened in 1988. The Italian Renaissance theatre is now used as a community arts center. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Eastwood Theatre
Toledo, OH
The Eastwood Theatre was built in 1925. The building has housed a few churches in recent years but appeared to be vacant when these photos were taken in 2011. The theatre was renovated and reopened in 2014. For more, see this website. [map]

Urbana Cinema
Urbana, OH
The Urbana Cinema opened in the 1940s as the Gloria Theatre. It was twinned and renamed the Urbana Twin Cinema around 1968. In 2010, the theatre closed for renovations. It reopened in 2015. For more, see this website. [map]

Wapa Cinema
Wapakoneta, OH
The Wapa Cinema started out as the Brown Theatre in 1904. This marquee was added much later. Does anyone know more about it? For more, see this website. [map]

Murphy Theater
Wilmington, OH
The Murphy Theatre opened as a movie theatre in 1918. Obviously, the marquee is from much later. Today, the Murphy is used for live performances. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Woodsfield:
Monroe Theatre

Woodville:
Limelite Theatre: 1, 2

Foster Theatre
Youngstown, OH
State Theatre
Youngstown, OH
The Foster Theatre opened in 1939. It has been an "adult theatre" since the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The State Theatre opened in 1927. In the early 1970s, the theatre closed and was converted into a nightclub. In 2008, the building was demolished but the facade was saved. These photos are from 2012. For more, see this website. [map]

More Youngstown:
Warner Theatre (Powers Auditorium)

Ohio (page 1) Ohio (page 2) Theatres
Main Page