email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

New York Movie Theatres (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

New Family Theatre
Mount Morris, NY
The New Family Theatre was built in 1938 and closed in 1980. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. However, after many years of deterioration, everything but the facade has been demolished. The building was being restored for use as retail space when these photos were taken in 2010. I believe the building is still vacant as of 2014. For more, see this website. [map]

Metro Twin Theatre
New York, NY
The Metro Twin Theatre was built in 1933 and was originally known as the Midtown (despite being up at 99th St.). The fašade is faced with pink and black terra cotta and features a medallion above with representations of Tragedy and Comedy. In the 1970s, it was a porn theater. In 1982, it became the Metro Theatre. It was completely restored and reopened in 2004, offering foreign and independent films. In 2005, the Metro closed for good. The interior was gutted and there were plans for the Alamo Drafthouse to turn the space back into a theatre. Those plans fell through. As of 2016, the building was still vacant. For more, see this website. [map]

New Amsterdam
Theatre
New York, NY
Paramount Theatre
New York, NY
The New Amsterdam Theatre was built in 1903 and featured live performances. The theatre began offering movies in the 1930s and the marquee is from that time as well. The theatre was purchased and restored by the Walt Disney Company from 1995-1997. It is now used for Disney-produced stage shows. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Paramount Theatre was designed by Rapp & Rapp and opened in 1926. The theatre's lobby was modeled after the Paris Opera House. The Paramount closed in 1964 and was gutted for office and retail space. The building's main tenant now is the Hard Rock Cafe. The building is also famous for its upper level original clock and glass globe. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Variety Theater [gone]
New York, NY
former Loew's 175th St. Theatre
New York, NY
The Variety Theatre was built in 1914 as a nickelodeon known as the Variety Photoplays Theater. It was remodeled in 1930 and functioned for many years an off-Broadway theater. It was last renovated in 1991 and closed in 2004. The building was demolished in 2005. It had a nice, multi-color neon marquee that was lit until it closed. For more, see this website.

Loew's 175th St. Theatre, designed by Thomas Lamb in a Mayan Revival/Oriental style, was the last of Loew's "Wonder Theatres". It is considered Lamb's most elaborate creation. It was completed in 1929 and opened in 1930. It has been home to the Reverend Ike's Christ United Church since 1969. Since 2013, the United Palace House of Inspiration church shares the space with the United Palace of Cultural Arts. Movies are being shown again in the space. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More New York City Theatres:
Joyce Theatre
Lincoln Theatre

Riviera Theatre
North Tonawanda, NY
The Riviera Theatre opened in 1926 as the New Rivera [sic] Theatre. The spelling was changed in 1928. The theatre was designed in the Italian Renaissance style. There was a succession of different owners in the 1970s and 1980s. In 1989, The Niagara Frontier Theatre Organ Society took possession of the building and began restoration. The theatre still has its original Mighty Wurlitzer which is the subject of this incredible mural on the side of the building. These photos are from 2001. The 1940s marquee sign was replicated in 2015 by Flexlume Signs. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Colonia Theatre
Norwich, NY
The Colonia Theatre opened in 1914. At some point the exterior was remodeled and a new marquee was installed. The auditorium has also been twinned. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

former Kallet Theatre
Oneida, NY
The Kallet Theatre opened in 1938. When the theatre closed, it was used as a skating rink. In 1983, the building was renovated and reopened as the Kallet Civic Center. It now features a 6,000 square foot floating wooden dance floor. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Oswego Theatre
Oswego, NY
The Oswego Theatre was built in 1941 by M. Shapiro & Sons and John Eberson. This Art Deco theatre is now known as the Oswego 7 Cinema, having been split up into a seven-plex. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more info, see this website. [map]

Tioga Theatre
Owego, NY
Bardavon 1869 Opera House
Poughkeepsie, NY
The Tioga Theatre was built in 1908 and is still operating. For more, see this website. [map]

The Bardavon 1869 Opera House was built in 1869. In 1923, it was remodeled by Paramount as a movie theatre. The theatre and marquee were modernized in 1947. It closed in 1975 and was nearly demolished. Since 1980, more than $5 million has been spent on its restoration. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is now used for live performances. For more, see this website. [map]

NY (page 1) NY (page 3) Theatres
Main Page