email: roadarch@outlook.com

New York Movie Theatres (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Palace Theatre
Albany, NY
The Palace Theatre was designed by John Eberson and built in 1931. It closed in 1969 and was then used as a civic auditorium. In 2002, major renovations began. In 2004, a marquee replicating the original was installed. The theatre is now used for live performances. For more, see this website. [map]

Auburn Schine Theatre
Auburn, NY
2004:
2009:
The Auburn Schine Theatre, part of the Schine Theater chain, opened in 1938. The Art Deco theatre was designed by John Eberson and featured a unique futuristic, outer space look (lots of chrome, bright colors and celestial imagery). The Auburn was in bad shape by the 1960s and by 1992, it was empty and threatened. However, in 1998, the Cayuga County Arts Council bought the building and FAST (Friends of Auburn Schine Theater) is working diligently towards its restoration. The Auburn is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see this website. [map]

Batavia Theatres:
Mancuso Theatre

Brewster Theatres:
Cameo Theatre

Strand Theatre
Brockport, NY
The Strand Theatre opened in 1916. In 1946, the facade was remodeled and faced with these vitrolite glass tiles. For more, see this website. [map]

Loew's Paradise Theatre
Bronx, NY
Loew's Paradise Theatre was designed by John Eberson opened in 1929. It was one of five "Wonder Theatres", named after the Robert Morton Wonder Organ which was installed in each of them. The others were the Loew's Valencia (Queens), Loew's Kings (Brooklyn), Loew's 175th St. (New York), and Loew's Jersey Theatre (Jersey City, NJ). The interior is atmospheric. Over the entrance, there is a mechanical clock which features St. George slaying a fire-breathing dragon on the hour. However, the St. George statue was stolen years ago. The theatre was subdivided in the 1970s and 1980s before closing in 1994. In 2000, restoration work began. The theatre reopened in 2005 for live performances and special events as Utopia's Paradise Theater. However, it appears to have shut down again. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

More Bronx Theatres:
Loew's Post Road Theatre [map]

former Paramount Theatre
Brooklyn, NY
Kings Theatre
Brooklyn, NY
The Paramount Theatre, built in 1928, was part of the Publix Theatre chain with seating for 4,500. The exterior signs could be seen for 20 miles. The theater was built by Rapp & Rapp and considered the most beautiful motion picture theatre in the world. It featured a latticed ceiling, arched side walls festooned with artificial foliage, and a midnight-blue velvet curtain embroidered with pheasants.

The Paramount was famous for its big rock and roll shows in the 1950s. The theatre officially closed in 1962 and was bought by Long Island University to use as their Brooklyn campus. The auditorium area is now used as a basketball court and the lobby has been transformed into a cafeteria. For home games, the original Wurlitzer organ (second in size only to the one at Radio City Music Hall) is played. Traces of the original theater ornamentation can be seen above the modern lights. As of 2005, the college is moving their basketball facility to a new location and the new use of the former theatre is being debated. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Kings Theatre was designed by Rapp & Rapp. It opened in 1929 and was one of the five Loew's Wonder Theaters in the New York City area. The others were: 175th Street, Paradise, Jersey, and Valencia. The name comes from Brooklyn's borough name, Kings County. The Kings had been vacant since 1977. In 2011, plans were announced to convert the theatre into a live performance venue. These photos are from 2012. The restoration began in 2013. The theatre reopened in 2015. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Buffalo Theatres:
North Park Theatre

Catskill Theatres:
Community Theatre

State Theatre
Deposit, NY
Aurora Theatre
East Aurora, NY
The State Theatre opened in 1937 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This theatre is now used for movies and live performances as the Deposit Community Theatre and Performing Arts Center. I believe the marbled vitrolite tiles and marquee sign are original. A fire in 1994 destroyed the auditorium so the entire interior is new. For more, see this website. [map]

The Aurora Theatre opened in 1925 and is still in operation. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Heights Theatre
Elmira Heights, NY
Glove Theatre
Gloversville, NY
The Heights Theatre was built in 1949 and closed in 2000. It reopened in 2002. For more, see this website. [map]

The Glove Theatre was built in 1914 for live shows. It was converted in 1920 into a vaudeville house. The current marquee was built in 1939. The theatre closed in the late 1970s. In 1995, it was nearly razed for a parking lot. The theatre is now open while still undergoing restoration. The town of Gloversville was once the glove-producing capitol of the world. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Geneseo Theatres:
Palace Theatre

Hamburg Theatres:
Palace Theatre

State Theatre
Ithaca, NY
Valencia Theatre
Jamaica, NY
The State Theatre occupies a building that was originally a garage and auto showroom constructed in 1915. The building was converted in 1928 into a "semi-atmospheric" movie palace and vaudeville theatre. In 1988, the theatre was nearly demolished. In 2001, it was restored and reopened. The sign was restored in 2007. The State is mainly used for live performances now. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. [map]

The Valencia Theatre was designed by John Eberson in his famous atmospheric style. It opened in 1929 and closed in 1977. The interior was meant to resemble a garden in Valencia, Spain. The huge lobby featured goldfish pools. The auditorium could seat 3,600 and had an Eberson's signature cloud-filled sky with twinkling stars. When it closed, Loew's donated the building to the Tabernacle of Prayer for All People. The church has left most of the theatre intact but repainted it in garish colors. For more, see this website. [map]

Jamestown Theatres:
Palace Theatre (now Reg Lenna Civic Center): 1, 2

Hippodrome Theatre
Loch Sheldrake, NY
Palace Theater
Lockport, NY
The Hippodrome Theatre opened as the Strand Theatre in the 1920s. It has been closed since 2006. For more, see this website. [map]

The Palace Theatre was built in 1925. It closed in 1969 and was nearly demolished in 1972. It reopened later that year. For more, see this website. [map]

NY (page 2) NY (page 3) Theatres
Main Page