email: roadarch@outlook.com

Minneapolis & St. Paul Movie Theatres

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

State Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
The State Theatre opened in 1921 as a vaudeville and silent movie house. In 1925, the theatre switched to showing movies. In 1978, the theatre was used by the Jesus People Church. In 1989, the City took possession of the theate and began restoration. The State reopened in 1991 as a performing arts center. For more, see this website. [map]

Orpheum Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
Suburban World Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
The Orpheum Theatre opened in 1921 as a vaudeville house. It was converted for movies in 1927. The theatre closed in the mid-1970s and the building is now used for live performances. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

The Suburban World Theatre was originally named the Granada Theatre. It was designed by Jack Liebenberg and built in 1927. It is a Spanish-style design with original details including an auditorium with twinkling stars and passing clouds. This is the only atmospheric theater left in Minneapolis. In 1954, it was renamed the Suburban World Theater and extensively restored. The theatre closed in 2003 but recently reopened, operating as a cinema and cafe. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Lyndale Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
El Lago Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
The Lyndale Theatre opened in 1915 and was closed by 1952. In 1954, the theatre was converted into a grocery store and, later, a furniture store. The building later housed a bingo hall and an antique store. This photo is from 2011 when the building was vacant. Since 2014, the building has housed the LynLake Brewery. For more, see this website. [map]

The El Lago Theatre was built in 1927 but did not open until 1933. It closed in 1966 and now houses the Victory Christian Center. For more, see this website. [map]

Ritz Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
Southern Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
The Ritz Theatre was designed by Liebenberg & Kaplan and opened in 1928. The theatre was vacant for many years. Around 2006, the building was renovated for the Ballet of the Dolls theatre and dance group. A new marquee was installed at that time. The theatre is now used as a live performance venue. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Southern Theatre was built in 1910 as a community center and live performance space. In the late 1940s, the building was used to store heavy road equipment. At that time, the original facade was removed and the building took on its current look. After that, the building housed a gift shop. From 1959 until the mid-1960s, the Gaslight restaurant occupied the space. Since 1981, the Southern Theatre has used the building as a live performance venue. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Uptown Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
The Uptown Theatre opened in 1913 as the Lagoon Theater. It was remodeled and renamed the Uptown in 1929. After a devastating fire in 1939, the theatre was completely rebuilt. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Parkway Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
Hollywood Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
The Parkway Theatre was designed by Perry E. Crosier and opened in 1931. It is still operating. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Hollywood Theatre was designed by Liebenberg & Kaplan and opened in 1935. The original marquee and sign were removed during a 1949 renovation. The theatre closed in 1987. The City of Minneapolis purchased the building in 1993. It still remains vacant. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Varsity Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
The Varsity Theatre opened as the University Theatre, a vaudeville venue in 1915. It switched to movies in the 1930s with a redesign by Liebenberg & Kaplan. It was renamed the Varsity at that time. The theatre closed in 1988. It was converted into a nightclub in the early 1990s. It was then converted into a photography studio. It reopened in 2005 with live entertainment and has a cafe and bar. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Riverview Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
The Riverview Theatre opened in 1948 and remains in operation. Most of the lobby furniture is from 1956 when the theatre was updated. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Boulevard Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
The Boulevard Theatre was designed by Perry E. Crosier and opened in 1933. It was originally known as the Boulevard Twins and was part movie theatre and part restaurant. It operated until at least the 1980s. In recent years, the building has housed a video store and a ballroom. It currently houses an Anytime Fitness. For more, see this website. [map]

Avalon Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
Highland Theatre
St. Paul, MN
The Avalon Theatre was built in 1924 and remodeled in 1937. In 1957, it began showing porn movies. The theatre closed in 1985. It remained vacant until 1988 when the In the Heart of the Beast Theatre took over the building. They have extensively renovated the theatre and use it for performances using puppets and masks. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Highland Theatre was designed by Myrtus A. Wright and opened in 1939. Around 1974, the balcony was converted into a second auditorium. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Grandview Theatre
St. Paul, MN
The Grandview Theatre was also designed by Myrtus A. Wright and opened in 1933. In 1972, the balcony was converted into a second auditorium. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Minnesota
page 1
Minnesota
page 2
Theatres
Main Page