email: roadarch@outlook.com

Indiana Movie Theatres (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Artcraft Theatre
Franklin, IN
The Artcraft Theatre opened in 1922 as a vaudeville house. It was remodeled in 1936 and again in 1948. The current look is from then. These photos are from 2006. The blade sign and marquee were restored in 2017. For more, see this website. [map]

Silver Screen Cinema
Garrett, IN
The Silver Screen Cinema was built in 1939 as the Kala Theatre. It was later renamed the Gala Theatre. It became the Silver Screen in 1981. For more, see this website. [map]

Gary:
Palace Theatre: 1, 2

Weil Theatre
Greenfield, IN
Town Theatre [gone]
Highland, IN
The Weil Theatre opened in 1946. It was later twinned and became the Village Theatre. The theatre was donated to the City in 2002. It reopened as the H.J. Ricks Centre for the Arts in 2006. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Town Theatre opened in 1946 and remained a single screen until it closed in 2008. It has been closed since then. These photos are from 2006. In 2017, the theatre was demolished. For more, see this website.

Huntington Theatre
Huntington, IN
The Huntington Theatre was originally used for live performances before switching to movies. It was remodeled in the Art Moderne style in 1940. In the 1990s, the theatre closed and was used by a church. In 2008, the building was restored and converted into a supper club with live acts. The name was changed to the New Huntington Theater. These photos are from 2009. For more, see this website. [map]

Indiana Theatre
Indianapolis, IN
The Indiana Theatre opened in 1927. There was originally a huge blade sign on the left side of the facade. The theatre closed in 1975 and was nearly demolished. Since the early 1980s, the theatre has housed the Indiana Repertory Theatre and has been used as a performing arts center. For more, see this website. [map]

Walker Theatre
Indianapolis, IN
The Walker Theatre, designed in an Africa Deco style, opened in 1927. Details include African shields and spears, sphinxes, and chimpanzees. Originally, the building had a ballroom, casino, beauty shop, pharmacy, and coffee shop. It also served as the beauty products factory for the Madam C. J. Walker Manufacturing Company. The theatre was located in the heart of the African-American community. Also known as the Madame Walker Theatre Center, the theatre was the concept of Madame C.J. Walker, the first African-American billionairess. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Vogue Theatre
Indianapolis, IN
2005:
2012:
The Vogue Theatre opened in 1938 as a movie theater. In the early 1970s, it began offering X-rated movies. In 1977, it was converted into the Vogue Nightclub, a dance club and rock concert venue. Although the interior was completely redone, the 1948 marquee was left intact and it is lit at night. Around 2007, the gray panels that had covered the exterior since at least the 1970s were removed. The original yellow exterior was restored. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Emerson Theatre
Indianapolis, IN
Strand Theatre
Kendallville, IN
The Emerson Theatre opened in 1928 as the Eastland Theatre. It was renamed the Emerson in 1931. It was still in use as a movie theatre in the mid-1980s. At some point after that, the seats were removed and a stage was installed. The theatre is now used for rock concerts. For more, see this website. [map]

The Strand Theatre opened in 1890 as the Spencer Opera House. It featured live entertainment at that point. Soon thereafter, it became the Boyer Opera House. In 1919, it was remodeled as a movie theater. In 1929, it was renamed the Strand Theatre. The marquee dates from the 1960s. In 1980, the theatre was twinned. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Jasper:
Astra Theatre

Lafayette Theatre
Lafayette, IN
Long Center
for the Performing Arts
Lafayette, IN
State Theatre
Logansport, IN
Grand Theatre
New Albany, IN
The Lafayette Theatre opened in 1938 and closed in the 1990s. It was abandoned until 2003 when renovation work began. The theatre is now used for movies and live entertainment. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Long Center for the Performing Arts was originally the Mars Theatre, built in 1921. It was mainly used for vaudeville and switched to "talkies" in 1929. The theatre was donated to the City in 1977 by the Long family. It was renamed and converted into a performing arts center. In 1999, the Long Center was restored and the sign replaced to simulate the 1921 original. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The State Theatre in Logansport opened around 1941 and is still in operation. The building's ground level was used as a retail space before it was converted into the theatre. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Grand Theatre opened in 1909. It was replaced by this theatre in 1913 and known as the New Grand Theater. I believe the remodeling took place in 1950. The theatre closed in 1975. In recent years, it reopened for weddings and special events. By 2010 when this photo was taken, the theatre was once again showing films. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Lawrenceburg:
Walnut Theatre

New Castle:
Castle Theatre

IN (page 1) IN (page 3)

Theatres
Main Page