email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Indiana Movie Theatres (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Paramount Theatre
Anderson, IN
The Paramount Theatre was designed by John Eberson and opened in 1929. The atmospheric interior simulates a Spanish courtyard with clouds and twinkling stars overhead. The theatre closed in 1984 and was nearly destroyed in 1989. It was restored and reopened in 1995. The theatre also features a Grand Page Theatre Pipe Organ. The vertical sign was created around 2008. The photo above at the left is from 2005. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

State Theatre
Anderson, IN
Devon Theatre
Attica, IN
The State Theatre was built in 1930. It has been closed since about 2000. For more, see this website. [map]

The Devon Theatre opened in 1932 and has been in continuous operation since then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Angola Theatres:
Strand Theatre

Gibson Theatre
Batesville, IN
The Gibson Theatre opened in 1921. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Indiana Theatre
Bloomington, IN
Princess Theatre
Bloomington, IN
The Indiana Theatre opened in 1922 as a vaudeville and movie house. In 1933, the theatre was severely damaged by a fire and was rebuilt in 1934 in the Art Deco style. It was twinned in 1975 by converting the balcony into a second auditorium. In 1995, the theatre was donated to the City and it was converted into a performing arts center. It reopened in 1999 as the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre. The theatre is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Princess Theatre was built in 1923. It now houses the El Norteño Mexican Restaurant. The building is listed on the the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see this website. [map]

Brookville Theatres:
Brookville Theatre

Crump Theatre
Columbus, IN
The Crump Theatre was built in 1874 and became an "opera house" in 1889. In 1934, the Crump expanded its lower level seating by removing the orchestra pit. In 1941, it was completely renovated in the Art Deco style. In 1987, the building was put up for demolition bids. A $50 million restoration was completed in 2001 but the work is still ongoing. There is no movement to do a full restoration and it is unlikely that the Crump will ever be a full-scale movie theatre again. Today, the theatre is sometimes used for music and other live performances. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Crown Theatre
Crown Point, IN
State Theatre
Elkhart, IN
The Crown Theatre opened as the Palace Theatre in 1914. The name was changed to the Crown sometime in the 1950s. The façade was probably redone at that time or possibly in the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The State Theatre was built in 1940 and closed around 1979. It was then occupied by a church. In 2008, it was converted into the Mad Anthony Brewing Company, a bar and restaurant. This photo is from 2009. Mad Anthony's closed in 2011. In 2014, Cubby Bear Pizza occupied the space. Later that year, the building was housing Krav restaurant. That closed in 2016. For more, see this website. [map]

Danville Theatres:
Royal Theatre

Elco Performing Arts Center
Elkhart, IN
The Elco Performing Arts Center opened in 1924 as the Lerner Theatre. It offered vaudeville and film. From 1931-1934, it operated as the Warner Theatre. It then became the Elco Theatre and today's marquee was installed. In 1996, restoration work began and the theatre was converted into the performing arts center. For more, see this website. [map]

Evansville Theatres:
Evansville Civic Theatre: 1, 2, 3

Clyde Theatre
Fort Wayne, IN
Embassy Theatre
Fort Wayne, IN
The Clyde Theatre opened in 1951. In 1976, the theatre was twinned and became the Quimby Theatre. It had been closed for many years with plans to convert it into a nightclub but that never happened. I believe is it now occupied by a church. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Embassy Theatre was designed by John Eberson and opened as the Emboyd Theatre in 1928. It was renamed the Embassy in 1952 and operated until 1972. The theatre remained vacant until renovation in the early 1990s. In 1996, it became a performing arts center. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. [map]

Rialto Theatre
Fort Wayne, IN
The Rialto Theatre opened in 1924. It was remodeled in the 1940s. The marquee sign is from 1952. In the 1980s, the theatre screened Spanish language and adult films. The theatre has been closed since 1989. Restoration work has been ongoing since 2003. These photos are from 2010. The exterior still looked the same in 2016. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Fowler Theatre
Fowler, IN
The Fowler Theatre opened in 1940. It now offers live performances as well as movies. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

IN (page 2) IN (page 3)

Theatres
Main Page