email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Georgia Movie Theatres (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Archie Theatre
Abbeville, GA
Variety Playhouse
Atlanta, GA
The Archie Theatre was being restored in 2000 but nothing much has happened since then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Variety Playhouse, originally the Euclid Theatre, opened around 1945. The theatre sat vacant from 1961 until the late 1980s. It is now a nightclub offering concerts. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Fox Theatre
Atlanta, GA
The Fox Theatre opened in 1929. It was built as a Shriners' headquarters but it was more costly than expected and the Shriners worked out a deal with Fox. The theatre has Moorish features (minarets and onion domes) and a lavish interior. It was nearly demolished in 1974 but was rescued by Atlanta Landmarks who restored and converted it into a live performance space. The project cost $20 million. In addition to Broadway plays, ballet and a summer film festival, space is rented out for corporate and political events, weddings, etc. There is also an extraordinary 4,000-pipe Moller organ. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Plaza Theater
Atlanta, GA
The Plaza Theater opened in 1939 in this historic strip mall. It was was designed by George Harwell Bond. The theatre has been in continuous operation. The marquee is original. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Tara Cinemas
Atlanta, GA
The Tara Cinemas opened in 1968 as a single screen theatre. It was twinned in 1975. It has been in continuous operation. For more, see this website. [map]

Albany Theatres:
State Theatre

Miller Theatre
Augusta, GA
Grand Theatre
Cartersville, GA
Legion Theatre
Cartersville, GA
The Miller Theatre was designed by Roy A. Benjamin and opened in 1938. It closed in 1983 and there have been slow efforts at restoration. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Grand Theatre was built in 1929 as the Greenwood Theatre. The theatre lost its original marquee in the 1970s under the weight of snow. It is now used as a performing arts center. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Legion Theatre was built in 1940. The theatre was originally white with brown trim and a metal marquee. The building is now used for live performances by the Pump House Players. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Brunswick Theatres:
Ritz Theatre: 1, 2

Cairo Theatres:
Zebulon Theatre: 1, 2

West Theatre
Cedartown, GA
The West Theatre opened in 1941. It was renovated in the late 1970s to its original appearance. Although the theatre was twinned in 1986, the original screen is still there behind the two newer screens. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. These photos are from 2007. The building had been repainted blue and gold by 2013. By 2015, it was painted green. For more, see this website. [map]

Colquitt Theatres:
Colquitt Theatre

Georgia (page 2) Theatres
Main Page