email: roadarch@outlook.com

Los Angeles Movie Theatres (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Grauman's Chinese Theatre
Los Angeles, CA
Grauman's Chinese Theatre opened in 1927 and has been the site of gala movie premieres since it opened. The theatre's exterior imitates a giant, red Chinese pagoda with a jade-green bronze roof rising 90 feet above ground. The interior is just as elaborate with Chinese lamps and murals, carved stone columns, and an immense chandelier. The theatre's courtyard is famous for cement footprints, handprints and autographs of the stars. Most of these are from the 1930s and 1940s.

In 1973, the theater renamed "Mann's Chinese Theatre". In 2000, the name was changed back to "Grauman's Chinese". It is now known as the "TCL Chinese". For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Egyptian Theatre
Los Angeles, CA
The Egyptian Theatre opened in 1922 and was originally designed in a Moorish style. Soon after it opened, Tutankhamen's tomb was discovered and the theater's décor was changed to this Egyptian Revival style. The exterior features massive columns, hieroglyphics, murals, a tiled fountain, and pots of exotic plants.

In the 1940s and 1950s, the courtyard was roofed over and the entrance was walled off. In 1970, the interior's stage and columns were removed in order to show wide-screen films. The theatre closed in 1992 and then, in 1994, it was badly damaged during the Northridge earthquake. The Egyptian reopened in 1998 after a $14 million renovation by the American Cinematheque. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

El Capitan Theatre
Los Angeles, CA
The El Capitan opened as a live theatre in 1926. In 1941, it featured "Citizen Kane" as the first of many Hollywood movie premieres. After the film's success, the theater closed and was remodeled. It reopened in 1942 as the Hollywood Paramount. From 1989-1991, the theater was restored by the Walt Disney Company and renamed the El Capitan Theatre. It now shows new, first-run Disney and Touchstone movies. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Hollywood Theatre
Los Angeles, CA
Pacific Theatre
Los Angeles, CA
The Hollywood Theatre was built in 1919 as a silent movie palace. The current facade was part of a remodel in 1938. The marquee sign was designed by S. Charles Lee. The theatre closed in 1992. In the mid-1990s, the building was converted into a Guinness World of Records museum. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Pacific Theatre opened in 1928 as the Warner Bros. Hollywood Theatre. The office building in which it was located also housed the KFWB radio station. Soon after the theatre opened, the two radio towers were built on the roof with one spelling out "Warners" and the other with the station's call letters. In 1968, the theatre was renamed the Hollywood Pacific Theatre. The theatre closed in 1994 and has mainly been used as a church since then. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. [map]

Pantages Theatre
Los Angeles, CA
The Pantages Theatre opened in 1930 as part of the Fox theater chain. The theatre closed in 1977. It was then restored as a live performance venue. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Los Angeles
page 2
Los Angeles
page 3
Los Angeles
page 4
Los Angeles
page 5
Fresno
Theatres
Sacramento
Theatres
San Diego
Theatres
San Francisco
Theatres
San Jose
Theatres
More California
Theatres

Theatres
Main Page