email: roadarch@outlook.com

Wisconsin Signs (page 4)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Club Omreau
Omro, WI
Steve's Pizza Palace
Platteville, WI
Chef [gone]
Portage, WI
The Club Omreau sign looks like it might be from the 1940s. For more, see this website. [map]

Steve's Pizza Palace opened in 1964. This sign is from then. The restaurant moved to this location in 2009. [map]

This Chef sign stood alone in a vacant lot when this photo was taken in 2013. By 2013, the sign was gone. Does anyone know what restaurant was associated with this sign?

Pewaukee:
Peterbilt [map]

Portage Cafe
Portage, WI
Service Drugs
Portage, WI
The Portage Cafe sign looks like it was reworked from a previous business. Does anyone know what was here originally? [map]

Service Drugs closed around 2010. These signs were still there in 2011 when these photos were taken. They appear to be from the 1930s and/or 1940s. By 2013, the first sign had been removed. The other sign, which is installed on the side of the building, was still there. For more, see this website. [map]

Smith Bros. Fish Shanty
Port Washington, WI
(now Milwaukee, WI)
Bernie's Fine Meats
Port Washington, WI
The Smith Brothers Fish Shanty restaurant operated here from 1954-2005. In 2006, the building was renovated for the Smith Brothers Marketplace. An aluminum replica sign was installed at that time. These photos are from 2011. The original fisherman sign was built in 1954. It put in storage when the restaurant closed. In 2014, the sign was installed at the St. Paul Fish Company at the Milwaukee Public Market in Milwaukee. There was another sign on the side of the building which is now in a private collection. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

Bernie's Fine Meats opened in 1941 and this sign is probably from then. [map]

National Brewery Museum
Potosi, WI
The National Brewery Museum is located in the Potosi Brewing Company building which operated from 1852-1972. The building was restored and the museum opened in 2008. In addition to the beer bottles, cans, glasses, advertising, and other items, there are a number of fully-operating neon signs. All of them items are on loan from collectors so the displays change from time to time. For more, see this website.

Curd & Whey Cheese House
Poynette, WI
Midway Restaurant
Random Lake, WI
The Curd & Whey Cheese House sign might be from the 1960s or 1970s. [map]

The Midway Restaurant sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Prentice:
Ford [map]

Stump Lake Liquor
Rice Lake, WI
Rand's
Bowling Lanes
Rice Lake, WI
Happy Hour Bar
Rice Lake, WI
Lehman's Supper Club
Rice Lake, WI
The Stump Lake Liquor sign might be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Rand's Bowling Lanes opened around 1955. [map]

The Happy Hour Bar sign is most likely from the 1950s. [map]

Lehman's Supper Club opened in 1934. The sign is probably from the 1950s. The neon arrow on top of the sign is or was most likely animated. [map]

More Rice Lake:
Drag's Restaurant and Roman Lounge

Riverside Motel
Richland Center, WI
Patio Drive-in
and Motel
Sister Bay, WI
Big Dick's Buckhorn Inn
Spooner, WI
I believe the Riverside Motel is closed but this sign remains. The sign is probably from the 1950s or earlier. The sign was probably reworked and the motel probably went by another name. The top piece must have been added later. [map]

The Patio Drive-in and Motel opened in 1964 and this sign is from then. The sign is repainted every ten years or so. There is a nearly identical sign at the Acorn Ridge Motel in Princeton, WI. For more, see this website. [map]

Big Dick's Buckhorn Inn opened as the Buckhorn Inn around 1934. This is either a recently refurbished vintage sign or a modern one. [map]

Schofield:
Maple Leaf Motel [vintage; gone]

Sheboygan:
Jumes Restaurant [map]

WI (page 1) WI (page 2) WI (page 3) WI (page 5) Northern
Advertising
Milwaukee

Main Signs Page