email: roadarch@outlook.com

Seattle Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Edgewater Hotel
Seattle, WA
Rainier Brewery
Seattle, WA
State Hotel
Seattle, WA
The Edgewater Hotel was built as the Camelot Hotel in 1962. It became the Edgewater Inn soon after that and, later, the Edgewater Hotel. Around 1994, the "E" was replaced with this jaunty version. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

This sign was installed on top of the Rainier Brewery in the 1950s. In 2000, the sign was removed and replaced with a "T" sign when the building was leased to Tully's. The "R" sign was restored and is now located inside MOHAI (Museum of History and Industry). In 2013, the "T" was removed and a replica "R" sign with LED bulbs was built and installed on top of the brewery building again. The new sign has lights on both sides. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The State Hotel was built in 1889. This sign is probably from the 1950s or earlier. [map]

Panama Hotel
Seattle, WA
Mac's Upholstery
Seattle, WA
The Panama Hotel was built in 1910. This sign appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Mac's Upholstery opened in 1948. This sign was probably built in the 1950s. Although the sign is protected by a plastic covering, the neon is only partially lit at night. [map]

Marco Polo Motel
Seattle, WA
Buckaroo
Tavern [gone]
Seattle, WA
University Seafood & Poultry
Seattle, WA
Ballroom
Seattle, WA
The Marco Polo Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. The plastic panel at the bottom was originally a porcelain enamel panel with neon reading "Marco Polo Motel" in script. For more, see this website. [map]

The Buckaroo Tavern opened here in 1938 and closed in 2010. A new location is being sought. Their sign was probably from the 1950s. The sign was removed and put into storage when the bar closed. For more, see this website.

University Seafood & Poultry opened in 1945. This sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Ballroom is a pool hall, bar and dance club. I believe it opened in 2001. This appears to be a vintage sign. [map]

Capital Industries
Seattle, WA
2008: 2015:
Capital Industries was established in 1953. This sign may be from then. It appears that the welder's torch was animated at one time. The back of the sign reads "Metal Fabricators." Around 2015, the sign was removed from the pole and restored. It is now installed flush on the company's building. [map]

Kettells Grocery & Lounge
Seattle, WA
2008: 2015:
Kettells Grocery & Lounge opened in this building in 1946. This sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. In 2013, the neon was removed and the sign was reworked for Kittens Adult Cabaret. For more, see this website. [map]

Neon Electric Sign Co. [gone]
Seattle, WA
The Neon Electric Sign Co., aka NESCO, had many old salvaged signs from the Seattle area on its lot. These photos are from 2008. Sometime after 2011, the business closed and the signs were removed.

K.R. Trigger Building
Seattle, WA
The K.R. Trigger Building has a few signs inside from the neon collection of Scott Andrews. Both of the signs shown here were restored by NESCO (see above). The Harborena Roller Skating Rink sign was originally installed in Hoquiam, WA. The Kitsap Lake Drive-in opened in Bremerton, WA in 1953 and closed in 1982. The 30 foot long neon sign features an Indian shooting a bow and arrow. Andrews acquired the sign around 1989 and had it restored for about $20,000. Beams had to be cut at the sides of the building to accommodate the sign. When the building was sold to its present owner, Andrews left these signs in place. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

QFC
Seattle, WA
Burgermaster
NE 45th St.
Seattle, WA
Burgermaster
Aurora Ave. N.
Seattle, WA
Burgermaster
Bellevue, WA
This QFC (Quality Food Center) sign originally advertised for an Art's Food Center. It was built in 1956. The globe still revolves. In 1998, Art's was purchased by QFC and the sign was adapted. For more, see this website. [map]

Burgermaster was established in 1952. There are now five locations in the Seattle area. These three signs are probably from the 1960s. The Aurora Ave. and Bellevue locations still feature car hop service. [NE 45th St. map]; [Aurora Ave. N. map]; [Bellevue map]

High Dive
Seattle, WA
Olympic Athletic Club
Seattle, WA
Icon Grill
Seattle, WA
Seattle has several neon divers. These nostalgic figures were inspired by 1950s signs of diving women used by motels to indicate that they had heated pools. The most famous example is the animated sign at the Starlite Motel in Mesa, AZ.

The High Dive rock music club opened in 2005. This sign is from then. [map]

The Olympic Athletic Club opened in 1979 and this sign was installed then. It was designed by Roger Legerano. [map]

The Icon Grill opened in 1998. This modern sign is the only representation of a diving man that I have seen. For more, see this website. [map]

Cupcake Royale
Seattle, WA
5 Spot
Seattle, WA
Red Mill Burgers
Seattle, WA
Seattle Gymnastics Academy
Seattle, WA
Cupcake Royale was established in 2003 and the company now has about six locations. This is a modern sign. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The 5 Spot opened in 1990 and this sign is from then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

This Red Mill Burgers sign is modern. The restaurant has two locations which opened in 1994 and 1998. Both have these signs. [map]

The Seattle Gymnastics Academy sign was built around 2012. It features an animated neon tumbling girl. For more, see this website. [map]

Elephant Car Wash
Battery St.
Seattle, WA

Elephant Car Wash
4th Ave. S.
Seattle, WA
Elephant Car Wash
Burien, WA

Elephant Car Wash
Tacoma, WA
Elephant
Car Wash [gone]
Puyallup, WA
Elephant Car Wash
112th St. E.
Puyallup, WA
Elephant Car Wash
Main St.
Puyallup, WA

Elephant Car Wash
Sumner, WA
Elephant Car Wash
Bonney Lake, WA
The Elephant Car Wash was founded in 1951 in Seattle and now has 15 locations in the Seattle area. Several of the company's signs revolve. For more, see this website.

The revolving Battery St. sign is from 1956. It is the biggest and most elaborate sign left. The sign measures 18 feet by 23 feet. The two sides of the sign are different. The one side has animated neon, the other side with neon and flashing bulbs. Originally, the sign read "5 Minute" where it now reads "Elephant." For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [Battery St. map]; [4th Ave. S. map]

The Tacoma location and sign are from 1963. The sign originally revolved. [map]

The Burien location opened later. The elephant probably revolved originally. [map]

The first sign shown above in Puyallup revolved. It read Li'l Elephant Car Wash on the other side. This location had closed and the sign was gone by 2012. Another car wash occupies the site.

The signs shown above in Puyallup at 112th St. E. are at a still-operating, modern location. [map]

The Main St. Puyallup location has a modern pole sign. [map]

The Sumner location's sign was installed sometime after 2012. The car wash was a Mr. Sudsy Car Wash at that time. [map]

The Bonney Lake location's sign was installed sometime between 2012 and 2015. The location housed a Jet Stream Car Wash in 2012. [map]

There are also locations in Rancho Mirage, CA and Jonesboro, AR. There was at least one location in Oregon which is gone now.

More Seattle:
Aurora Flower Shop
Aurora Plumbing & Electric Supply
Bardahl Manufacturing
Fiddler's Inn [map]
Original Pancake House
Seal's Motel: 1, 2 [gone]
Top Pot Doughnuts

Seattle (page 1) WA (page 1) WA (page 2) WA (page 3) WA (page 4) Spokane Yakima

Main Signs Page