email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Seattle Signs (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Klose-In Motel
Seattle, WA
Green Lake
Motel [gone]
Seattle, WA
Sun Drive-In
Cleaners
Seattle, WA
Thunderbird
Motel [gone]
Seattle, WA
Cascade
Motel [gone]
Seattle, WA
The Klose-In Motel opened in 1930 as the Klose Inn Auto Court. This sign was built in 1951. The sign was restored shortly after this photo was taken in 2008. There was a natural gas explosion in 2014 that damaged the motel. The motel was demolished in 2017. The fate of the sign is unknown. For more, see this website. [map]

The Green Lake Motel closed in 2008. The top part of the sign originally rotated with the motel's name on one side and "vacancy" on the other. This photo is from 2008. By 2011, the sign was gone and the name had been changed to the Oaktree Motel.

The Sun Drive-In Cleaners sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. The "SUN" letters may have been neon originally. [map]

The Thunderbird Motel and sign were built in 1956. The motel was demolished in 2012. According to a news article, the sign was saved by a "neighbor." For more, see this website.

The former Cascade Motel sign was repainted and the neon removed in 2008 as shown here. The sign was still there in 2012. By 2014, the motel had been demolished and the sign was gone. For more, see this website.

E.E. Robbins
Seattle, WA
Troy Laundry [gone]
Seattle, WA
Pepsi [gone]
Seattle, WA
E.E. Robbins opened in 2000 and this engagement ring sign was built then. [map]

The Troy Laundry was established around 1905. It moved to this building in 1927. By 1948, the Troy Laundry plant was the largest laundry operation in the Pacific Northwest. This sign was probably built in the 1960s. This photo is from 2008. Around 2014, the building was demolished. The facade was saved but the sign was gone.

This Pepsi sign was installed in 1998. This sign replaced a previous Pepsi globe-shaped sign from 1958. That sign was preceded by a Mission Orange sign which was installed in 1947. These photos are from 2008. Around 2012, this sign was removed. The scaffolding is now used for a normal billboard sign. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

Puetz Golf
Seattle, WA
Flying A
Seattle, WA
Hacienda Motel
Seattle, WA
Two Bit Saloon
Seattle, WA
The Puetz Golf driving range was built in 1945. This sign was built in the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

This Flying A gas station sign is installed on the Artco Sign Co. building. [map]

The Hacienda Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Two Bit Saloon opened here in 2010 and closed in 2014. This sign was probably built in 2010. By 2016, the Bergschrund Brewery had opened in the building and this sign was still there. [map]

Iliad Apartments
Seattle, WA
2008: 2015:
The Iliad Apartments were built in 1970. This sign is believed to be from then. It was restored in 2011. [map]

Luna Park Cafe
Seattle, WA
Luna Park Cafe opened in 1989. The restaurant features two vintage signs on the roof. The Avalon Motors sign was originally located at the Avalon Volkswagen dealership in Seattle. It was there in the 1960s and was probably installed earlier. The dealership closed in 1988. I don't know where the cafe sign came from. [map]

Totem Equipment Co. [gone]
Seattle, WA
Wonder Bread
Seattle, WA
The Totem Equipment Co. has been here since at least the 1950s. The building was vacant when this photo was taken in 2008. By 2011, the sign had been painted over and was advertising for the KUBE 93 Haunted House.

This Wonder Bread factory sign was built in 1952. It is 16 feet wide. It was dismantled in 2007 and restored. In 2008, the sign was reinstalled on the roof of the apartment building which replaced the factory. This photo is from 2015. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Shack
Seattle, WA
Shanty Tavern
Seattle, WA
Argens Safe & Lock [gone]
Seattle, WA
The Shack was a "hamburger joint" on Alki Beach. The sign was rescued by Java Bean and installed in front of their shop. [map]

The Shanty Tavern sign bears a strong resemblance to The Shack sign above. The Shanty Tavern moved at least a couple of times which makes me suspect, if the story above is incorrect, that the sign at The Shack might have been a repurposed sign from the Shanty. This location opened in 1961 and the sign appears to be from then. [map]

Argens Safe & Lock was founded in 1880. In 1977, the company moved to this location across the street. This photo is from 2008. In 2014, the building was demolished in order to build apartments. This sign is gone.

Bread of Life Mission
Seattle, WA
By's
Seattle, WA
Franz Bakery
Seattle, WA
The Bread of Life Mission was founded in 1939. The organization moved here in 1949. This sign is probably from then or soon after that. [map]

By's has been here since the 1960s. This sign appears to be from then. [map]

The Franz Bakery was established in 1906 in Portland, OR. The company has many locations throughout the Northwest including two in Seattle. This building was built from 1951-1952 for Langendorf United Bakeries. Franz has owned the building for many years. The building's pylon which is painted with Franz graphics includes a clock at the top. [map]

Pike Place Market
Seattle, WA
The Pike Place Market opened in 1907 making it one of the oldest farmers' markets in the country. The sign with the clock is from around 1930. The other signs are probably from around the same time. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

City Fish Company
Seattle, WA
Loback Meat Co.
Seattle, WA
These two signs are located inside the Pike Place Market.

The City Fish Company sign appears to be modern.

The Loback Meat Co. sign is from around 1947. The store has been gone since 1989 but the sign remains.

Dahlia Lounge
Seattle, WA
Frontier Room [gone]
Seattle, WA
The Dahlia Lounge opened in 1990. The business moved here in 2000. This appears to be a contemporary sign. At night, the fish's tail moves in three-part animation. [map]

The Frontier Room opened in 1954 and this sign was installed then. I believe the Bar B-Q sign was added much later. The Frontier Room closed in 2014. The signs were gone by 2015. For more, see this website.

Western Fire
Extinguishers
Seattle, WA
Cadillac Hotel
Seattle, WA
Ivar's
Seattle, WA
Western Fire & Safety Co. was founded in 1987. This sign was created around 1997. For more, see this website. [map]

The Cadillac Hotel was built in 1898. This sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. Its pristine condition might indicate that it's a replica sign. For more, see this website. [map]

Ivar's was established in 1938. Ivar's Acres of Clams opened this location at Pier 54 in 1946. The Fish Bar sign appears to be a replica of a much earlier sign. The Acres of Clams sign appears to be modern. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Seattle (page 2) WA (page 1) WA (page 2) WA (page 3) WA (page 4) Spokane Yakima

Main Signs Page