email: roadarch@outlook.com

Portland Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

New Copper Penny Bar & Grill [gone]
Portland, OR
former Waddle's Restaurant
Portland, OR
Renner's Grill
Portland, OR
The New Copper Penny Bar & Grill opened in 1973. This sign appeared to be from then. For more, see this website. The place was demolished in 2017 and the sign is gone.

Waddle's Restaurant opened in 1945 and closed in 2004. The former building and sign were adapted for a Hooters. For more, see this website. [map]

Renner's Grill opened in 1939. This sign may be from the 1940s or 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Republic Cafe
Portland, OR

The Republic Cafe opened in 1930. These signs are probably from the 1940s or 1950s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Golden Dragon Cafe [gone]
Portland, OR
2008: 2015:
The Golden Dragon Cafe blade sign may have been from the 1930s. The projecting sign was probably from the 1950s. Both signs were removed around 2012. The projecting sign is now located in the sign yard at Security Signs. I don't know where the blade sign went. For more, see this website.

Portland Outdoor Store
Portland, OR
The Portland Outdoor Store opened in 1914 as a western wear store. They now sell clothing and outdoor equipment. The neon sign was built around 1947. For more,see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Kelly's Olympian
Portland, OR
Kelly's Olympian was established in 1902. This neon sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. There are also other vintage neon signs inside the bar (bottom row above). For more, see this website. [map]

Butte Hotel
Portland, OR
Willoughby Hearing
Aid Center
Portland, OR
Nick's Famous Coney Island
Portland, OR
The Butte Hotel was built in 1912. The sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. The building is now used for low-income housing. The sign was restored in 2011. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Willoughby Hearing Aid Center chain was established in 1949 in Eugene, OR. This building and sign in Portland appear to be from the 1950s. [map]

Nick's Famous Coney Island opened in 1935 across the street from its present location. This business moved here 1943 and this sign was built then. The plastic "Coney Island" must have been added in the 1960s. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Lotsa Luck Bar & Grill
Portland, OR
2008: 2015:
The Lotsa Luck Bar & Grill sign is probably from the 1950s. The neon on the sign alternated between "Cocktails" and "Bar". The bottom of the sign was hit by a delivery truck in 2015. The neon and bulbs were removed from that part of the sign. The sign was repaired later that year. For more, see this website. [map]

Sixth Avenue Motel
Portland, OR
former Dunes Motel
Portland, OR
Portland Rescue Mission
Portland, OR
2008: 2015: 2008: 2015: 2016: 2008: 2015:
The Sixth Avenue Motel opened in 1959 and this sign is from then. The sign was restored in 2010. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

This former Dunes Motel has a reworked sign for the Best Value Inn. One of the plastic panels at the top of the sign was missing in 2015. It had been replaced by 2016. This motel was part of a small chain with about a dozen locations in Oregon and Washington. The former location in Portland on NE Sandy Blvd. still has the same main text panel but is missing the onion dome shapes above. A location in Hillsboro, OR is still operating as a Dunes Motel and has the same shaped main text panel. These motels and signs were built in the mid-1960s. Some of these signs featured sheiks either with or without the onion domes. There was also a location in Reno, NV. [map]

The Portland Rescue Mission was founded in 1949. This appears to be a modern sign. Around 2015, the text on the sign was changed to mixed case letters and the neon was removed from the lighthouse. The window on the lighthouse was apparently backlit originally. [map]

Portland (page 1) Portland (page 3)
Oregon (page 1) Oregon (page 2) Oregon (page 3) Oregon (page 4)

Main Signs Page