email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Oregon Signs (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

old welcome sign
Lakeview, OR
new welcome sign
Lakeview, OR
The old welcome sign consisted of this 35 foot tall plywood cowboy and a rectangular message panel. There were actually three of these "Tallman" signs made in 1956 for each entrance into town. They was built to accompany Lakeview's slogan as the "tallest town in Oregon", a reference to the town's elevation. The Oregon Department of Transportation found the signs too tall and they were replaced in 1996 with these three 17 1/2' tall new welcome signs. The three old signs are now located at the Lake County Fairgrounds. [old welcome map]; [new welcome map]

Safeway
Lakeview, OR
2008: 2016:
This unique Safeway sign pays tribute to the original Tallman sign described above. The original Safeway cowboy sign was built in 1962. It had a different look then. I don't know when the panels were changed from those shown in the 2008 photo above. In 2009, the sign got another makeover (see the 2016 photo above). [map]

Fetsch's Men's
& Boy's Wear [gone]
Lakeview, OR
Indian Village
Restaurant
Lakeview, OR
Howard's Drugs
Lakeview, OR
Royal Oaks
Mobil Manor
Medford, OR
City Center Motel
Medford, OR
Fetsch's Men's & Boy's Wear featured two great neon signs. This photo is from 2008. By 2016, the signs were gone.

The Indian Village Restaurant opened in 1960. The totem pole and arrows were not part of that original sign. For more, see this website. [map]

The Howard's Drugs is probably from the 1960s. [map]

The Royal Oaks Mobil Manor sign appears to be from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The City Center Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Gingerbread House
Mehama, OR
Coe Electric [gone]
Milton-Freewater, OR
The Gingerbread House restaurant opened in 1952. This sign appears to be from the 1960s. [map]

The Coe Electric storefront below this sign was vacant when this photo was taken in 2008. By 2012, the sign was gone.

Kellogg Bowl
Milwaukie, OR
The Kellogg Bowl was built in 1962 and is still operating. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

welcome sign
North Bend, OR
Lew's Dari-Freeze
Drive In [gone]
Oak Grove, OR
This welcome sign reads "Come Back to North Bend" on the other side. The original sign, which was installed in 1936, had red neon. At some point, it was changed to green neon. The sign was replaced around 1988 and again in 2011. The current sign cost about $50,000 and has red neon. The photo above is from 2015. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Lew's Dari-Freeze Drive In opened in 1957. The business closed in 2015 and the sign was moved somewhere southeast of town. It stands by the road in a farm field. For more, see this website.

Benson Glass & Paint
Ontario, OR
abandoned motel
Ontario, OR
Quisenberry's
Ontario, OR
Benson Glass & Paint has a fun plastic sign with a giant neon paintbrush. This photo is from 2008. Sometime between 2012 and 2015, the plastic panel had been replaced with one reading Sun-Guard. [map]

This abandoned motel and sign are located behind the Far East restaurant. [map]

The Quisenberry's sign is only partially lit now and the Q / Men's Wear part no longer revolves. For more, see this website. [map]

Masonic Lodge [gone]
Oregon City, OR
The first Masonic Lodge in Oregon was established in Oregon City in 1848. This sign was obviously from much later. This photo is from 2008. The sign was removed around 2012. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Gordon's Electric
Pendleton, OR
Virgil's at Cimmiyotti's
Pendleton, OR
Fraternal Order of Eagles
Pendleton, OR
Gordon's Electric opened in 1973. This sign must be from then. [map]

Virgil's at Cimmiyotti's opened as Cimmiyotti's in 1959. The curlicue at the top of the sign and the arrow below are vintage or replicas of original pieces of the previous sign. The middle of the sign is from 2009 when the restaurant reopened as Virgil's at Cimmiyotti's. [map]

This Fraternal Order of Eagles sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Rainbow Cafe
Pendleton, OR
Hamley Western Store & Coffee Shop
Pendleton, OR
The Rainbow Cafe opened in 1883 as the State Saloon and Banquet. This sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The Hamley Western Store opened here in 1905. This sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Hamley Coffee Shop is located next door to the western store. It opened in 2005 and this sign is from then. For more, see this website.

Ruud's Hearing Aid Service
Pendleton, OR
Burns Mortuary
Pendleton, OR
Ruud's Hearing Aid Service was established in 1961. This sign appears to be a reworked Elgin Watches jewelry store sign like this one in Woodstock, IL. The text panels were apparently replaced when Ruud's took over the space. The clock face was replaced at some point as well. It would have read Elgin originally. [map]

Burns Mortuary was established in 1925. This sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Oregon (page 1) Oregon (page 2) Oregon (page 4) Portland

Main Signs Page