email: roadarch@outlook.com

Las Vegas Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Walden Motel
Las Vegas, NV
2014: 2017:
The Walden Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Star Motel
Las Vegas, NV
Downtowner Motel
Las Vegas, NV
The Star Motel sign was built in the 1950s. There were evidently more stars between those metal bars. They probably flashed. For more, see this website. [map]

The Downtowner Motel sign has been here since at least the mid-1960s. The arrow's chasing bulbs still work. [map]

Bonanza Gift Shop
Las Vegas, NV
The Bonanza Gift Shop signs were adapted from the Big Wheel Casino. There was originally a shopping center at this site. In 1963, Honest John's Casino opened as one of the tenants. Around 1971, the Big Wheel Casino opened next door to Honest John's. This round sign is from then. After 1974, the Big Wheel became the Centerfold Casino and, later, the Jolly Trolley Casino & Restaurant. The signs were adapted for those businesses. The Bonanza Gift Shop opened here in 1980. For more, see this website. [map]

Ambassador East Motel
Las Vegas, NV
Alicia Motel #3
Las Vegas, NV
2006: 2014: 2006: 2014:
The Ambassador East Motel opened in 1952 and was originally named the Ambassador Motel. The original sign was much smaller. It was replaced with another sign which now appears as the lower part of this sign. The swirling bulb arrow portion of the sign was probably added in the late 1950s or 1960s. The motel was demolished in 2007 for condos. The sign was restored in 2013 for the Life is Beautiful festival. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Alicia Motel #3 was built as the St. Catherine Motel in 1953. At some point in the 1950s, it became the Star View Motel. At some point in the late 1960s, the sign was moved from the corner pool area to its current position next to the office. In 2006, it became the Alicia Motel #3. The Star View lettering was removed from the sign and the Alicia name simply painted on. For more, see this website. [map]

Roulette Motel
Las Vegas, NV
Fergusons Motel
Las Vegas, NV
Par-A-Dice Motel
Las Vegas, NV
Lawless Center
Las Vegas, NV
Gatewood Motel
Las Vegas, NV
The Roulette Motel opened in 1955. There was a different sign there then. This sign is probably from the 1960s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Fergusons Motel opened in the 1950s as the Franklin Motel. There was a different sign there then. This sign is probably from the late 1950s or 1960s. It closed in 2013 and there are plans to convert the property into retail space, a coffee shop, and other commercial uses. I don't know if this sign will be staying. The sign was previously painted a darker blue. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

The Par-A-Dice Motel opened in 1953. The motel originally had a rooftop sign topped with a pair of giant dice. That sign was consumed by a fire in the mid-1990s. The motel was demolished in 2012 but the sign remains. It is hoped that it will be saved and either incorporated into the new Las Vegas Gateway Center or donated to The Neon Museum. For more, see this website. [map]

The Lawless Center shopping center sign was built in 1963. The sign is owned and maintained by YESCO. This photo is from 2014. Around 2016, the sign was repainted. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Gatewood Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Peter Pan Motel
Las Vegas, NV
2006: 2014:
The Peter Pan Motel was built in 1963 and this sign is probably from then. The sign was restored sometime between 2007 and 2011. Tony Hsieh purchased the motel in 2013. A sign hanging on the building in 2014 stated that there are plans to use the building for senior apartments. For more, see this website. [map]

Super Laundry
Las Vegas, NV
The Super Laundry building appears to be from the 1940s. The canopy must have been added later. The signs may have been located on the roof of the building before that. [map]

Atomic Liquors
Las Vegas, NV
American Legion
Las Vegas, NV
Terrible Car Wash
Las Vegas, NV
Ruby Slipper
Las Vegas, NV
Atomic Liquors opened in 1945 as Virginia's Cafe. The name was changed to Atomic Liquors in 1952 and the sign was built then. The name is a reference to the atomic bomb detonations that took place just a few miles away. Customers could watch them from the bar's roof. The bar closed in 2011 but reopened in 2012. For more, see this website. [map]

This American Legion sign is probably from the 1950s. There are patched holes indicating it had neon originally. [map]

This Terrible Car Wash sign appears to be at least 30 feet tall. This sign is probably from the 2000s. There were even taller Terrible's Casino signs in St. Joseph, MO and Osceola, IA. For more, see this website. [map]

The Ruby Slipper was built in 2007 and is owned by the City of Las Vegas. It was modeled after the Silver Slipper sign. For more, see this video. [map]

Silver Slipper
Las Vegas, NV
Society Cleaners
Las Vegas, NV
The Silver Slipper casino opened in 1950 and closed in 1988. This 12-foot-tall shoe was designed by YESCO and installed on top of the casino in the 1960s. It has more than 900 bulbs. It was later moved to the top of the Silver Slipper sign. The signs were saved by The Neon Museum. In 2009, the slipper was restored and installed in the median near the museum. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Society Cleaners opened in 1945. This sign may be from then. It was displayed over the store's entrance. The store closed and the sign was removed in 2006. After restoration by The Neon Museum, it was installed in the median of Las Vegas Blvd. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Hacienda Hotel
Las Vegas, NV
Normandie Motel
Las Vegas, NV
This Hacienda Hotel in Las Vegas opened in 1956. The sign was built by YESCO and installed in 1967. The hotel operated from 1956-1996. It was imploded in 1999. The sign was restored by The Neon Museum and installed on Las Vegas Blvd. next to the Fremont Experience in 1996. There were two other Hacienda Hotels that had these signs: in Bakersfield and Fresno, CA. The sign in Fresno is still on display. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Normandie Motel was built in 1937. There was a different sign there originally. This sign was designed by Betty Willis and is probably from the 1950s. The motel was demolished in the early 2000s. The sign was restored by The Neon Museum and has been displayed on Las Vegas Blvd. since 2012. For more, see this website. [map]

Landmark Hotel
Las Vegas, NV
The Landmark Hotel was built in 1969. It closed in 1990 and was demolished in 1995 for convention center parking. This sign was restored by The Neon Museum. Around 2009, the sign was installed on Paradise Road on the site of the former hotel. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Lucky Cuss Motel
Las Vegas, NV
2006: 2014:
The Lucky Cuss Motel was built as the Panorama Motel in the 1950s. At some point, the sign was adapted for the Lucky Cuss Motel. Around 2008, the sign was removed for safety reasons. In 2012, the sign was restored by The Neon Museum and installed on Las Vegas Blvd. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

5th Street Liquor
Las Vegas, NV
The 5th Street Liquor Store was built by YESCO around 1946. It is believed to be the first animated sign in Las Vegas. The store closed in 1988. The sign was restored by The Neon Museum and installed at Neonopolis in 2002. Around 2009, this sign was moved to a location near Casino Center and Garces Street as part of the Las Vegas Signs Project. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Strip 91 Motel [gone]
North Las Vegas, NV
Cactus Motel [gone]
North Las Vegas, NV
Starlite Motel [gone]
North Las Vegas, NV
The Strip 91 Motel sign was probably built in the 1950s. It was originally painted blue. The motel's name was a reference to its location on Highway 91. This photo is from 2014. By 2015, the sign had been removed. It is now in storage at the Neon Museum. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Cactus Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s. By 2013, the motel had been demolished and the sign was gone. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Starlite Motel sign appeared to be from the 1950s. The first night photo above is from 2006. By the second photo in 2014, the "Motel" text was not lit. The sign was still there in 2016. I'm told that it was gone by 2017. I don't know if it was saved by The Neon Museum.

Charleston Auto Parts
North Las Vegas, NV
(now Las Vegas, NV)
former Wimpy's [gone]
North Las Vegas, NV
2006: 2014: 2006: 2014:
This Charleston Auto Parts store was part of a chain with a few other locations around Las Vegas. Arond 2012, this sign was restored and moved to Genuine Auto Parts in Las Vegas. [map]

The Wimpy's burger stand was built in 1965 and this sign was from then. Wimpy's head used to revolve. The restaurant closed in the mid-1990s. The Mariscos Las Islitas restaurant adapted the sign panels but kept the Wimpy's head. However, by 2013, the head was gone. The name and sign design were obviously inspired by the Wimpy character in Popeye comic strips who was fond of hamburgers. There was other Wimpy's locations built around the same time in Las Vegas. There were also Wimpy's Drive-ins in Las Vegas in the 1930s but I doubt they were related. For more, see this website. [map]

Jerry's Nugget
Hotel & Casino
North Las Vegas, NV
Silver Nugget Casino
North Las Vegas, NV
The Jerry's Nugget Hotel & Casino opened in 1964. Some of the original Jerry's Nugget signs are at The Neon Museum. In 1968, Jerry's bought out the Bonanza Club across the street and adapted the signs on this oil derrick. The letters alternate between pink and blue neon. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Silver Nugget Casino opened in 1964. It closed in the late 1980s but reopened in 1990. This sign features a revolving giant nugget. For more, see this website. [map]

Las Vegas
(page 1)
Las Vegas
(page 3)
Las Vegas
(page 4)
Neon Museum Neonopolis
Reno
(page 1)
Reno
(page 2)
Nevada
(page 1)
Nevada
(page 2)
Nevada
(page 3)

Main Signs Page