email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

New Jersey Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Ocean Lanes
Lakewood Township, NJ
White Horse Pike [gone]
Lawnside, NJ
Luncheonette
Lebanon, NJ
The Ocean Lanes opened in 1959. This sign a replica of the original. [map]

The White Horse Pike sign is over 50 feet tall. It was installed around 1966 for the White Horse Pike Drive-In Theatre. In the mid-1970s, a shopping center was built on the property. The sign remained until it was removed in 2014.

This Luncheonette sign is most likely a replica sign. The embossed porcelain is in like-new condition, especially on the sides of the sign. It is installed at the Lebanon Boro General Store which opened in 2003. Two similar signs are located at the American Sign Museum (1, 2) in Cincinnati, OH. [map]

Paree One Hour Cleaners
Lindenwold, NJ
Billiards Cafe
Lodi, NJ
Lyndhurst Diner
Lyndhurst, NJ
Paree One Hour Cleaners sign appears to be from the 1950s. The name must be a reference to Paris and French dry cleaning. [map]

The Billiards Cafe rooftop sign is a repurposed Michelin Man sign. [map]

The Lyndhurst Diner sign is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

Charles the Florist [gone]
Madison, NJ
Long Beach Island
Manahawkin, NJ
79 Liquors
Matawan, NJ
former Food Circus
Middletown, NJ
Charles the Florist had a well-maintained neon sign when this photo was taken in 2003. In 2006, they changed the business name and removed the sign.

This Long Beach Island sign is located at the Southern Regional High School. I'm told that this wood and metal sign is old - but I don't know how old. It has been restored at least a couple times. This photo is from 2012. Later that year, the sign was battered by Hurricane Sandy. The lighthouse and a couple of letters were missing. The sign was restored in 2013. For more, see this website. [map]

79 Liquors was repainted in 2012. For more, see this website. [map]

The former Food Circus sign was built in 1956. It is also known as the "Evil Clown" for his mischevious expression. This 30 foot tall sign used to rotate and the clown once held a Special of the Week sign in his non-pointing hand. The sign is now used by Spirits Unlimited, a liquor store chain, which has taken over the former grocery store building. Evidently, before Spirits Unlimited, it was known as Circus Liquors and the sign's lettering was reworked at that time. As of 2015, the sign is endangered by new development. For more, see this website. [map]

Millburn:
Suburban Paint [map]

S. Klein [gone]
Newark, NJ
Heller & Heller Liquors
Nutley, NJ
Hoy's 5&10
Ocean City, NJ
This S. Klein department store closed in 1976. This 60 foot tall neon sign remained until 2013 when the building was demolished. I don't know if any part of the sign was saved. For more, see this website.

The Heller & Heller Liquors projecting, vertical neon sign was removed in 2006. However, the neon lettering on the vitrolite storefront remains. [map]

Hoy's 5&10 was established in 1935. In the 1960s, there were 18 stores operating in the area. Today, there are four locations: in Avalon, Stone Harbor and two in Ocean City. This sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

More Newark:
Anheuser-Busch [map]
Weisbrod's Pharmacy

New Brunswick:
Barrood Agency [map]

Pavilion Motor Lodge
Ocean City, NJ
Forum Motor Inn
Ocean City, NJ
Sifting Sands Motel
Ocean City, NJ
The Pavilion Motor Lodge and sign look like they are from the late 1950s or early 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Forum Motor Inn was built in 1963. These signs appear to be from then. [map]

The Sifting Sands Motel was built 1962 and the sign was installed then. The motel is a mix of condominiums and rental units. This photo is from 2012. In 2016, the condo association voted to have the sign restored. It had only been partially lit for the last few years. As is the case with most vintage signs, in order to comply with city regulations, this sign had to be refurbished in place. The sign is about 18 feet long and lit with blue and red neon. The panels were sandblasted down to the metal and straightened. The sign was repainted to its original multi-color paint scheme. The work was done by the MC Sign Company for about $34,000. For more, see this website. [map]

Orange:
Toast of the Town [map]

Parsippany Shopping Plaza
Parsippany, NJ
Cortese
Pharmacy
Paterson, NJ
Pinsetter Bar and Bowl
Pennsauken, NJ
The Parsippany Shopping Plaza sign appears to be from the 1950s. [map]

The Cortese Pharmacy opened in 1952. This sign is probably from then. [map]

The Pinsetter Bar and Bowl opened in 2007. It was previously known as the Maple Lanes which opened in 1962. In 1972, it was renamed the Maple Bowl. This sign appears to be a new creation or updating although the owners believe it is original. The building and sign had been repainted by 2016. [map]

Fornaro's
Liquor Store [gone]
Pennsville, NJ
Forks Tavern & Restaurant [gone]
Pennsville, NJ
Pine Brook
Motor Lodge
Pine Brook, NJ
The Fornaro's Liquor Store signs appeared to be from the 1950s. The store is still there but the signs were removed in 2013.

The Forks Tavern & Restaurant has been closed for many years but this rooftop sign remains. In 2015, plans were announced to demolish the building and the nearby gas station. By 2016, the building and sign were gone.

The Pine Brook Motor Lodge opened in 1949. This sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. The plastic box sign might be an indication that the motel went by another name originally. [map]

Princeton:
Conte's Pizza [map]

Crate's Liquor
Red Bank, NJ
Sole Solution
Red Bank, NJ
(now West Long Branch, NJ)
Katsin's Pharmacy
Red Bank, NJ
Crate's Liquor opened in 1940. This sign appears to be from the 1950s. A darker blue face is visible behind the peeling paint. [map]

The Sole Solution sign was built in 1933. This photo is from 2007. In 2009, the store moved to West Long Branch, NJ where the sign is displayed in the window.

Katsin's Pharmacy was established in 1918. The business moved to this location in 1965. This sign was moved from the previous location across the street at that point. It appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s. Katsin's closed in 2004 but these signs were still there in 2012 when these photos were taken. I believe they were still there in 2015. [map]

Ridgefield:
A.W. Meyer Hardware [map]

White Eagle Tavern
Riverside, NJ
Mister Softee
Runnemede, NJ
Flash Cleaners [gone]
Rutherford, NJ
The White Eagle Tavern porcelain-faced, rooftop sign is from the late 1940s. The sign was originally animated with flapping wings. For more, see this website. [map]

This Mister Softee sign is installed on the roof at the company's headquarters and depot. The sign appears to be made from a Mister Softee truck. The company was established in Philadelphia in 1956. For more, see this website. [map]

The Flash Cleaners sign was probably from the 1950s. The neon was missing when this photo was taken in 2011. The sign was still there in 2013. The business was still there in 2016 but the sign was gone.

More Riverside:
Riverside Pharmacy: 1, 2 [gone]

Surfside Motel
Seaside Heights, NJ
Save-Rite
Super Market
Somerset, NJ
Colonial Motor Court
Springfield, NJ
Playdrome
Toms River, NJ
The Surfside Motel opened in 1970. This sign appears to be from then. [map]

The Save-Rite Super Market sign appears to be from the 1950s. This photo is from 2009. By 2013, the neon had been removed and the sign was repainted. [map]

The Colonial Motor Court was built in 1951. For more, see this website. [map]

The Playdrome opened in 1958 at another location. It moved here in 1968. There are about four other Playdromes in the area that were part of a chain of thirteen locations. However, this business preceded them and had no relationship with them. [map]

More Toms River:
Americana Motel [map]

Curtis
Suburban Lanes
Trenton, NJ
Williams Glass
Trenton, NJ
Home Furniture
Trenton, NJ
Neon Bar
Trenton, NJ
The Curtis Suburban Lanes sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Williams Glass is gone but this sign remains. It is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

This Home Furniture sign is located in the parking lot behind the store. It is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Neon Bar sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

NJ (page 1) NJ (page 3)

Main Signs Page