email: roadarch@outlook.com

Missouri Signs (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Steak Burger
Independence, MO
Big Boy Burgers
Independence, MO
Queen City Motel
Independence, MO
V's Italiano Ristorante
Independence, MO
Gateway Sporting Goods
Independence, MO
This Steak Burger sign is probably from the 1950s. The place is now Lobito's Steak Burger & Mexican Food but the sign remains the same. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

This Big Boy Burgers has been here since 1962. For more, see this website. [map]

The Queen City Motel was originally called the Queen City Court. The text was changed accordingly on this sign which appears to be from the 1950s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

V's Italiano Ristorante was established in 1963. The restaurant moved to this location in 1971. For more, see this website. [map]

Gateway Sporting Goods is gone but this sign remains. There is an antiques store in the space below the sign now. [map]

Vickers
Independence, MO
Great Western Motel
Independence, MO
Sterling Lanes
Independence, MO
Diamond Bowl
Independence, MO
This Vickers gas station has been closed for years but the building and this sign remain. Vickers Petroleum was a Kansas-based refining and marketing company. The company was bought out by Total Oil in 1980 and most of these signs were removed. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

This Great Western Motel sign is from the 1950s. The sign originally had a horse and cowboy with a neon lasso on the upper right. There was also a AAA logo attached to the upper left. There was also another panel below the arrow which advertised television, air conditioning, etc. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Sterling Lanes opened in 1959. This sign is probably from then. [map]

The Diamond Bowl opened in 1947 and moved to this location in 1972. The building was completely renovated and this sign was installed in 2007. The diamond-shaped piece on top of the sign revolves. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Fun House Pizza
Independence, MO
Southtown
Sporting
Goods [gone]
Joplin, MO
Woody's
Wood-Fire Pizza
Joplin, MO
Capri Motel [gone]
Joplin, MO
This Fun House Pizza location opened in 1968. The circus tent part of the sign probably revolved originally. For more, see this website. [map]

Southtown Sporting Goods had been here since 1957. This sign is probably from then and may have had neon at one time. In 2011, the sign was blown over during a tornado. The building was damaged and had to be destroyed. The sign is gone.

This Coca-Cola sign at Woody's Wood-Fire Pizza was probably a liquor store bottle sign originally. [map]

The Capri Motel opened in 1962. The sign is about 30 feet tall. The motel was demolished in 2013. The sign was saved and disassembled. The sign's new owner hopes to reinstall it at another location in town. There were other Capri Motels with the same sign in Lawton, OK; Oklahoma City, OK; and Albuquerque, NM. There may have been others. There were also at least three identical signs for Flamingo Motels in Elk City, OK, Jackson, MS, and Waco, TX. There was also a Sands Motel in Tulsa, OK and a Rio Motel in Fort Worth, TX with the same sign design. I'd love to know if there was a relationship between these motel chains.

More Independence:
Twin Drive-in

Jefferson City:
Buescher Memorial Home [map]
Lakeside Motel

Wilder's Steakhouse
Joplin, MO
Wilder's Steakhouse opened in 1929. The building was renovated in 1946 and these signs are probably from then. The rooftop sign is lit with spotlights and the neon on the other sign still functions. In 2017, it was announced that the sign would soon be restored with a grant from the National Parks Association. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More Joplin:
Junge's Bakery Products [vintage]
Rocket Motel [vintage]
Tropicana Motel: 1, 2 [gone]
Watts Paint [gone]

Kennett:
Peoples Furniture Co. [map]

GMC Trucks
Kirksville, MO
Spencer's Grill
Kirkwood, MO
Manyx TV & Appliance
La Belle, MO
This GMC Trucks sign is installed at Weber Motors. The signs were mass-produced in the 1940s. I only know of one other one in Nunda, NY. The signs are now being reproduced. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Spencer's Grill opened in 1941. The restaurant moved to this location in 1947 and this sign and clock were built in 1948. For more, see this website. [map]

Manyx TV & Appliance is long gone but this RCA Victor sign remains. The store opened in 1949 as a radio repair shop. [map]

More Kirkwood:
Lionel Electric Trains [gone]

Orchid Motel
Lake Ozark, MO
Shoreland Motel
Lake Ozark, MO
Berry Moore
Furniture &
Appliances
Lamar, MO
Crowder
Plumbing & Supply
Lebanon, MO
Estes Drive-in
Lincoln, MO
The Orchid Motel sign is probably from the 1960s. [map]

The Shoreland Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The neon has been removed from the Berry Moore Furniture & Appliances sign. [map]

Crowder Plumbing & Supply was established in 1973 and this sign might be from then. It is about 20 feet tall. [map]

The Estes Drive-in opened in 1969. For more, see this website. [map]

Lakeside:
Barefoot Traders [vintage; gone]

More Lebanon:
Pittsburgh Paints: 1, 2

Lexington:
B.P.O.E.
Red Goose Shoes [gone]

Linn Motel
Linn, MO
Travelier Motel [gone]
Macon, MO
Southpaws
Veterinary Clinic
Maryville, MO
The Linn Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Travelier Motel was built around 1950. This sign was probably from then. This photo is from 2010. By 2014, the sign had been replaced with a plastic box sign. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

This Southpaws Veterinary Clinic sign has obviously been adapted from a previous business. I assume it originally advertised for a mobile home dealership or something similar. [map]

Ramsey's
Nevada Motel [gone]
Nevada, MO
Thorpe's Radio
& Television [gone]
Nevada, MO
Rinehart Jewelry
Nevada, MO
Ramsey's Nevada Motel opened in 1960. This photo is from 2010. By 2012, this sign had been replaced with a plastic sign for the Nevada Inn.

Thorpe's Radio & Television was long gone but this sign was still there when this photo was taken in 2010. It was still there in 2015 but gone in 2016.

Rinehart Jewelry opened in 1952 and is still in business. The store moved to this location in 1954. [map]

Golden Door Motel
Osage Beach, MO
Beacon Motel
Pacific, MO
Relax Motel
Poplar Bluff, MO
The Golden Door Motel opened in 1965. The door spins in its frame. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Beacon Motel was built in 1946 as the Beacon Court. It closed in the early 1980s. In 2006, this sign was saved, restored and installed at a car wash. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Relax Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

More Poplar Bluff:
Godwin's 303 Package & Sporting Goods Store [gone]

Smith Bros. Hardware
Raytown, MO
Clark's Appliances
Raytown, MO
Raytown Car Wash
Raytown, MO
Smith Bros. Hardware has been here since the 1930s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Clark's Appliances opened in the 1950s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Raytown Car Wash sign is probably from the 1960s. [map]

Fun House Pizza
Raytown, MO
abandoned sign [gone]
St. James, MO
Shadow Rock Lodge
Forsyth, MO
This Fun House Pizza location opened in 1964 and this sign was installed then. These photos are from 2010. In 2014, the sign panels were repainted and the star-like C-152 Lectra was refurbished. It is the only one still operating. For more, see this website. [map]

C-152 Lectra signs were designed and manufactured by Jim Henry of Oklahoma Neon in Tulsa, OK in the 1960s. They were marketed and distributed by the Standard Neon Supply Company. They were built as flashing sign additions. There were only about 50 of these signs sold. Another example can be found in Hardeeville, SC. A couple of examples which are gone now were in Muskogee, OK and Kearney, NE. The Standard Neon Supply Company also produced the Neo-Lectra, a larger three-dimensional star-shaped sign. There are examples of those at this page.

This abandoned sign is another example of a C-152 Lectra. I believe this sign is gone now. [photo thanks the lope]

This Shadow Rock Lodge sign originally featured a Neo-Lectra. At some point, that element was replaced with this C-152 Lectra. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More Raytown Signs:
Fox's Drugs [map]

Rolla:
Mule Trading Post

MO (page 1) MO (page 2) MO (page 4) MO (page 5) Kansas City St. Louis
Main Signs Page