s
email: roadarch@outlook.com

Massachusetts Signs (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Joseph's
Pontiac Service
Norwell, MA
Town Square Diner
Norwood, MA
Carriage House
Motel [gone]
Peabody, MA
Joseph's Pontiac Service was established in 1928. This Pontiac sign is a reproduction. Their original was donated to the American Sign Museum. [map]

The Town Square Diner opened in 1948. This sign was refurbished around 2006. For more, see this website. [map]

The Carriage House Motel had been closed since 2008. This photo was taken in 2010. The motel and sign were demolished in 2012.

Lantern Restaurant
Pittsfield, MA
The Lantern Restaurant opened in 1926. This sign is obviously from much later. [map]

Quincy Signs:
Safe Buy Used Cars [vintage; gone]

Benny's Home & Auto
Raynham, MA
Salem Beer Works
Salem, MA
Connie's Stagecoach [gone]
Salisbury, MA
Benny's Home & Auto was a local chain that had been around since 1924. This location opened in 1962. In 2017, all the the locations closed. It's not known what will happen with this sign. [map]

This witch sign is installed inside the Salem Beer Works brewery and restaurant. It was originally part of a larger sign that was 80 feet long. The neon was originally white. The sign was built by and installed at the Salem Sign Company.

The Connie's Stagecoach restaurant sign looks like it has always been encased in a box. It appears it may have revolved. This photo is from 2011. By 2015, the sign had been replaced with a backlit plastic box sign.

Rowley Signs:
McIntyre's Restaurant [vintage; gone]

Chisholm's
Motel [gone]
Saugus, MA
Ferns Motel
Saugus, MA
Karl's Sausage Kitchen
Saugus, MA
Chisholm's Motel was built in the late 1930s or early 1940s. This photo is from around 2001. By 2007, the sign had been replaced with a new one with plastic panels. [map]

Ferns Motel was built in 1952. In 2003, the motel's old sign was replaced with the modern plastic one shown above. [map]

Karl's Sausage Kitchen opened here in 1958. They are famous in the Boston area for their German meat products. This sign was built in 1961 for $3,000. It was installed at Karl's previous location which was about 500 yards away from where it is now. The store moved here in 1971. The old sign was deemed beyond repair in 2010. It was replaced with the new one shown above. For more, see this website. [map]

Hilltop Steak House
Saugus, MA
Hilltop Steak House [gone]
Springfield, MA
Hilltop Steak House [gone]
Braintree, MA
The Hilltop Steak House's original restaurant in Saugus has an 80 foot tall cactus sign. Frank Giuffrida took over the Hilltop in 1961 and the sign was built in 1964 for $68,000. In 1988, Giuffrida sold the restaurant to a partner and it was later bought by a Denver-based company. The Hilltop was one of the largest steakhouses in the U.S. and one of the five biggest-volume restaurants in the country. The restaurant closed in 2013. In 2014, it was announced that the property had a buyer. The restaurant was demolished in 2015 but the sign will remain. It is not known yet if there are plans to change the text on the sign. [map]

The company had a mail order business at one time as well. There were two floors of dining rooms. There were two theme rooms (the Carson City room and the Virginia City room). The restaurant was famous for its 24 ounce bone-in sirloin. They also had a herd of fiberglass bulls installed by the road. They have been removed. [night photo thanks to DinerFan]

I don't know when the Springfield location opened. However, by 2005 when this photo was taken, it appeared to have been closed for awhile. The building was then undergoing asbestos removal. It was demolished in 2006 and the sign removed in 2007.

The Braintree location opened around 1986. It occupied a former Valley's Steak House and kept its 1960s folded-plate exterior entrance. The sign replicated the one in Saugus. There were also lots of fiberglass bulls around the building like the Saugus location. In an auction in 2007, the bulls were sold and the sign was sold for $100. The property is now used by a Toyota dealership.

More Saugus Signs:
Kane's Doughnut House
Pine Crest Motel [vintage; gone]
Saugus Pines Motor Court [vintage; gone]
Siesta Motel [vintage; gone]

Shrewsbury Signs:
Hebert Candy Mansion [vintage; gone]

Big Bunny Market
Southbridge, MA

The Big Bunny Market sign is installed on the roof above the store's entrance. According to the store's management, it was built in 1962. The eight foot tall bunny statue was added soon after that. There were two of them at this store and another at the Stafford Springs store. The Stafford Springs bunny was stolen. The second one at Southbridge was removed for repairs and never went back up. It was loaned to a salesman who changed the statue into a penguin for a frozen foods promotion. The statue was never returned as promised. The bunny that remains was stolen by a fraternity around 1997. It was located and retrieved.

According to another source, the bunny statue was actually built and installed in 1958. The sign was already there on the store's roof but the letters were different. There were no letters spelling "Market" and there was a round panel with a Bugs Bunny look-alike. [map]

Russell's
Family Restaurant [gone]
Springfield, MA
Koffee Kup Bake Shop
Springfield, MA
Santoro's
Submarine
Sandwiches [gone]
Wakefield, MA
As of 2005, Russell's Family Restaurant was vacant. By 2010, this sign was gone. [photo thanks DinerFan]

The Koffee Kup Bake Shop is located in the Springfield Plaza shopping center. [map]

Santoro's Submarine Sandwiches was established in 1949 and developed a chain of restaurants in the area. This was the only location left. The store closed in 2014 and the sign was removed in 2015.

More Wakefield Signs:
Batten Bros. Sign Advertising

MA (page 1) MA (page 2) MA (page 4) MA (page 5)

Main Signs Page