email: roadarch@outlook.com

Wichita Signs

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Welch Cleaners [gone]
Wichita, KS
Cowboy Cleaners [gone]
Wichita, KS
Welch Cleaners was part a Wichita chain that was founded in 1932. The globe, which once revolved, was part of the original design. This was the last location left with a globe. In 2009, this location closed. The letters were removed from the building but the owner said the globe would stay. The building was still vacant in 2011. By 2015, the globe was gone. [first photo thanks Glenda Campbell]

There were a dozen Cowboy Cleaners in town by the late 1950s. The locations featured freestanding rooftop lettering and pole signs with statues of a cowboy on horseback. The interiors featured a Western theme. This was the last remaining location. It closed in 2005 and the cowboy statue was immediately taken down and sold. Although the interior was gutted, these neon letters were still there in 2010 when this photo was taken. By 2012, the letters were gone. There was also a cowboy statue at another Cowboy Cleaners location at a liquor store in Wichita. That statue is also gone now. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Western Holiday Motel
Wichita, KS
El Mariachi
Wichita, KS
Tax Wise
Wichita, KS
Darlo Shoes
Wichita, KS
Dutch's Greenhouse
Wichita, KS
The Western Holiday Motel sign was once outlined with neon and the cowboy's right arm moved up and down. The cowboy may have been inspired by Vegas Vic. The sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The El Mariachi sign originally advertised for the Beuttel's Clothing store. Beuttel's operated here from 1932-1997. The sign may have been built in 1956. For more, see this website. [map]

Tax Wise opened in 1959. This neon sign was probably from then. It probably revolved originally. This photo is from 2010. By 2012, the tax office was still there but this sign was gone. The sign was back by 2015. I don't know if it was restored or if a replica was created. [map]

Darlo Shoes opened in 1968. This sign is a combination of neon and plastic. This photo is from 2010. In 2011, the central panels of the sign were missing. By 2015, the panels had been replaced. For more, see this website. [map]

Dutch's Greenhouse opened here in 1957. This sign may have been built later or adapted from an earlier neon sign. [map]

Starlite
Restaurant [gone]
Wichita, KS
West Side
Flower Shop [gone]
Wichita, KS
Bell Floor Co.
Wichita, KS
Morey's Place
Wichita, KS
Edgemoor Plaza
Wichita, KS
The Starlite Restaurant had been closed for many years when the photo of the sign was taken in 2006. The sign was finally removed and wound up in a sign shop's yard. [photo thanks Glenda Campbell]

The West Side Flower Shop opened in 1952. In 2006, a new business moved in and the sign disappeared. [photo thanks Glenda Campbell]

The Bell Floor Co. is now Bell's Abbey Carpet & Floor. This sign is probably from the 1950s. It is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

In addition to this sign, Morey's Place featured a giant horseshoe entrance and a bull on the roof. The restaurant was Burke's Steak House before becoming Morey's around 1994. The owner believes the horseshoe signs came from a casino in Las Vegas. By 2015, the place had closed and the bull was gone. The signs were still there. [map]

The Edgemoor Plaza shopping center opened in 1954. For more, see this website. [map]

Uptown Motel
Wichita, KS
Jim's Furniture
Wichita, KS
Athena Jewelry
Wichita, KS
Pepsi-Cola
Wichita, KS
The Uptown Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. This photo is from 2010. By 2015, the neon was gone and the sign had backlit plastic letters. For more, see this website. [map]

The Jim's Furniture sign has obviously been adapted from a previous business. Jim's has been here since the late 1960s. Does anyone know what was here originally? [map]

Athena Jewelry was established in 1969. This sign appears to have been adapted from a previous business. [map]

This massive Pepsi-Cola sign is located at the Pepsi-Cola bottling plant. It has not been lit at night for many years. The sign has been around since at least 1960. It was probably built in the 1950s. Pepsi began using this bottle cap logo in 1950. The sign was moved to this location in 1982 from another Pepsi plant in Wichita. [map]

More Wichita Signs:
Bell Boy Motel [vintage; gone]
D&A Sporting Goods [vintage; gone]
Quick & Easy Washomat
Takhoma Burger [in storage]

KS (page 1) KS (page 2) KS (page 3) KS (page 4)
Main Signs Page