email: roadarch@outlook.com

Illinois Signs (page 4)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Kriege Hardware
(now Dewey's Pizza)
Edwardsville, IL
Effingham Motel
Effingham, IL
Green Lantern
Restaurant [gone]
Effingham, IL
The Kriege Hardware store opened in this building around 1948. This sign is probably from then. This photo is from 2006. The store closed in 2011. In 2012, the sign was adapted by the new tenant, Dewey's Pizza. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Effingham Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Green Lantern Restaurant was destroyed by fire in 2007. This photo is from 2005. The sign was removed in 2011. It will be restored and sold.

Ramada Inn [now in private collection]
Effingham, IL

2010:

2012:
This Ramada Inn sign originally looked like this. These signs were used nationwide. Sometimes referred to as the Bugler or the Butler, the bald innkeeper known as "Uncle Ben" appeared on the chain's signs from 1954 until around 1976. Early signs depict him wearing an apron. In 1961, he began wearing a suit and top hat. This motel was built in 1963. Around 2004, when the name was changed to Keller's Inn, the sign was adapted. The text was changed but the rest of the sign, including Uncle Ben, remained the same. Around 2007, the sign was removed and piled up in the parking lot. In 2010, the sign was sold to a private collector in Owensville, MO. The sign has been partially reassembled. The arm with the bugle will be added and the neon may be restored. This is believed to be the last Uncle Ben sign in existence. There was originally a smaller Uncle Ben sign at this location. That sign hit by a truck and destroyed. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Neal Motel
Eldorado, IL
Colonial
Lodge Motel
Elgin, IL
Elgin Car Wash
Elgin, IL
Elizabeth Banking Center
Elizabeth, IL
The Neal Motel is closed. This sign had been cut from its poles and was standing in front of the office when this photo was taken in 2010. The sign was still there in 2013. [map]

The Colonial Lodge Motel sign was built in 1955. It is about 65 feet tall and originally revolved. [map]

The Elgin Car Wash sign appears to be from the 1950s. This sign was probably built by the same company that built these in Chicago: 1 and 2. [map]

The Elizabeth Banking Center sign appears to be from the 1930s or 1940s. The first photo is from 2009 when the sign read "Elizabeth State Bank". The bank closed in 2009. By the second photo from 2010, the sign had been adapted for the Elizabeth Banking Center. The revolving clock and temperature panels below the neon panels appear to be modern replacements. [map]

More Elizabeth Signs:
Buick & Pontiac signs: 1, 2 [gone]

Mack's Golden Pheasant
Elmhurst, IL
Steven's
Steak House [gone]
Elmhurst, IL
Reliable
Dinettes [gone]
Elmwood Park, IL
Horwath's
Restaurant [gone]
Elmwood Park, IL
Mack's Golden Pheasant opened in 1948. This sign may be from then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Steven's Steak House opened in 1958. It closed around 2006 and the sign was removed in 2011.

This photo of the Reliable Dinettes sign is from 2001. The sign is gone now. A plastic box sign for Dinette World hangs in its place.

This photo of the Horwath's Restaurant sign is from 2001. The restaurant opened in 1931. The sign was built in the late 1940s. The building and sign were demolished in 2004.

El Paso:
Elms Restaurant

Bennison's Bakery
Evanston, IL
Bennison's Bakery has been here since 1938. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Garden Cleaners [gone]
Evergreen Park, IL
Naples Bakery
Evergreen Park, IL
Wolf's Bakery
Evergreen Park, IL
The Garden Cleaners is still around but this sign is not. The sign was most likely built in the 1950s. In 2009, it fell from its pole during a windstorm and was destroyed. For more, see this website.

The Naples Bakery was established in 1918. The facade and sign appear to be from the 1950s. The bakery closed in 2016. The fate of the sign is unknown at this point. For more, see this website. [map]

Wolf's Bakery opened in 1935. When new owners took over in 1999, they had the sign repainted to its original colors. Wolf's had another location at one time. For more, see this website. [map]

Art's Motel
Farmersville, IL
Odd Fellows Temple
Flora, IL
Masonic Lodge
Flora, IL
American Legion
Flora, IL
This Art's Motel sign was completely rusted in 2006. The viewable, south side of the sign was repainted in 2007 by the Route 66 Association of Illinois. For more, see this website. [map]

This Odd Fellows Temple sign is used by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. It was probably built in the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

This small Masonic Lodge sign looks like it might have been cut from the top of a larger sign. [map]

This American Legion sign was most likely double-sided and projected out from the building. [map]

Oak Leaf Lounge
Forest Park, IL
The Oak Leaf Lounge was originally the Oak Leaf Laundry and Cleaners. The text for the laundry was removed in the 1950s when the place reopened as the Oak Leaf Lounge. [map]

Ferrara Pan Candy Co.
Forest Park, IL
Pines Lobster
& Steak House [gone]
Forest Park, IL
Luecke Jewelers
Freeport, IL
The Ferrara Pan Candy Co. was founded in 1908. It is still in business as the Ferrara Candy Company. This sign might be from the 1950s. [map]

The Pines Lobster & Steak House sign appeared to be from the 1950s. This photo is from 2012. The sign was still there in 2015 but gone by 2016. For more, see this website.

Luecke Jewelers has been here since 1921. The company has another location in Monroe, WI. This sign was previously painted green. [map]

V.F.W. Club
Galena, IL
Log Cabin Steakhouse
Galena, IL
Young's Appliances
Glen Ellyn, IL
Dutch Maid Cleaners
Glenview, IL
This V.F.W. Club sign is probably from the 1950s. I believe the bar immediately below this sign is run or at least owned by the V.F.W. For more, see this website. [map]

This Log Cabin Steakhouse opened in 1935. The sign is probably from the 1950s. It appears to have been refurbished recently. Does anyone know if the sign was more log-like originally? For more, see this website. [map]

Young's Appliances opened in 1931 as Young's Home Utilities. This sign was built in 1966 when the business changed its name to Young's Appliances. The "GE Frigidaire" part of the sign revolved until the early 1980s. This photo is from 2012. In 2014, this sign was removed and a new one installed. The Young's logo colors were changed to blue and the Frigidaire text was replaced with Whirlpool and KitchenAid. The marquee was replaced with a backlit LED message board. The top half of the sign is rotating again. [map]

The Dutch Maid Cleaners looks like it was built in the 1950s. This plastic sign was probably installed at the same time. [map]

More Glenview:
Meier's Tavern [map]

IL (page 1) IL (page 2) IL (page 3) IL (page 5)
IL (page 6) IL (page 7) IL (page 8) IL (page 9) IL (page 10)
Chicago (page 1) Chicago (page 2) Chicago (page 3) Chicago (page 4)

Main Signs Page