email: roadarch@outlook.com

Idaho Signs (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Rockland Pharmacy
American Falls, ID
Rockland Pharmacy sign was built in 1962. It was previously located at a different location and moved here in the 1970s. For more, see this website. [map]

More American Falls Signs:
Silver Horseshoe Bar

Mello-Dee Club & Steakhouse
Arco, ID
The Mello-Dee Club & Steakhouse signs are probably from the 1950s and/or 1960s.

Masonic Lodge
Arco, ID
Sawtooth Club
Arco, ID
City Office Building
Arco, ID
This Masonic Lodge was built in 1916. The sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The Sawtooth Club sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The City Office Building sign in Arco features an animated atomic symbol. In 1955, Arco was the first city in the world to be lit by nuclear power. This sign may be from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Mangum's
Blackfoot, ID
2008: 2014:
This Mangum's sign originally advertised for Mangum's Western Wear. It is from the early 1960s and never had neon. The wording was changed on the sign when the store began focusing on Indian crafts. In 1991, the owner's daughter opened Beader's Paradise and the sign was adapted again. In 2009, the sign was repainted by a local art teacher. [map]

Colonial Inn
Blackfoot, ID
The Colonial Inn, a restaurant and lounge, opened in 1950. This sign is from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Kesler's Market
Blackfoot, ID
Packham Real Estate & Insurance
Blackfoot, ID
Kesler's Market first location was built in 1934. The store moved to this location in the 1950s. This sign is probably from then or the 1960s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Packham Real Estate & Insurance was established in 1941. This sign is probably from then. It might have been a two-faced projecting sign originally. For more, see this website. [map]

Parish Motel
Burley, ID
2008: 2014:
The Parish Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. It was repainted sometime between 2009 and 2014. For more, see this website. [map]

Lampliter Motel
Burley, ID
Nelson's Cafe & Pilot Lounge
Burley, ID
The Lampliter Motel sign is probably from the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

I believe Nelson's Cafe & Pilot Lounge has been around since at least the 1940s. There were different signs on the building then. The current signs are probably from the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Holiday Motel
Caldwell, ID
Canton Cafe
Caldwell, ID
Penny Wise Drug Store [gone]
Caldwell, ID
The Holiday Motel sign is probably from the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Canton Cafe sign is probably from the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

This Penny Wise Drug Store sign is probably from the 1970s. The store closed at the end of 2014. The owl sign was sold to a collector. I assume the other sign is gone now, too. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Chief Hotel
Cascade, ID
Holiday Lodge Motel
Challis, ID
Bux's Place
Challis, ID
The Chief Hotel was previously known as the High Country Inn. This sign might have been refurbished and adapted (or a replica made) when the name changed. [map]

The Holiday Lodge Motel sign might be from the 1960s. [map]

The Bux's Place sign might be from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

China Gate [gone]
Coeur d'Alene, ID
The China Gate was damaged by a fire in 2008. The restaurant closed and the sign is now in a private collection.

Paul Bunyan Pak-Out
Coeur d'Alene, ID
2008: 2016:
The Paul Bunyan Pak-Out was built around 1954 as Louie's Inn & Out. This sign was installed then. It is about 20 feet tall. The restaurant was rebuilt in the 1990s. The sign was repainted around 2011. For more, see this website. [map]

More Coeur d'Alene Signs:
Brunswick Cafe & Tepee Room [vintage; gone]
Lake Drive Motel
State Motel [sign gone]
Topper Too [vintage; gone]

Koffee Kup Cafe
Hammett, ID
Cold Springs Winery
Hammett, ID
Owyhee Lanes
Homedale, ID
The Koffee Kup Cafe is long gone but this sign remains. It is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

This giant wine bottle and glass sign advertises for the Cold Springs Winery from a hillside along I-84. The bottle is about 30 feet tall. [photo thanks Mark Comstock]

The Owyhee Lanes giant bowling ball and pin sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Chesbro Music Co.
Idaho Falls, ID
Evergreen
Gables Motel
Idaho Falls, ID
Paramount
Theatre
Idaho Falls, ID
Carstens' Bakery
Idaho Falls, ID
Farrell's
Auto Upholstery
Idaho Falls, ID
The Chesbro Music Co. was established in 1911. This sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Evergreen Gables Motel was built in 1946. This sign appears to be from the 1950s. The units are now used for apartments and the sign is no longer lit. For more, see this website. [map]

This swirl sign was once part of the Paramount Theatre marquee which was built in 1929. The theatre closed in the late 1980s. In 1997, the building was restored to its original 1919 look when it was known as the Colonial Theatre. This swirl was moved to a corner location when the marquee was removed. It is lit when there are special events at the restored theatre, now known as the Willard Arts Center. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Carstens' Bakery was established in 1968. This sign may be from then. [map]

Farrell's Auto Upholstery has been around since 1959. This sign may be from then or the 1960s. The business is gone but the sign remains. [map]

North Hi-Way Cafe
Idaho Falls, ID
The North Hi-Way Cafe opened in 1934. These signs are probably from the 1950s and/or 1960s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Stinker
Idaho Falls, ID
This Sinclair gas station is paired with a Stinker convenience store. Farris Lind opened the first Stinker gas station in Twin Falls, ID in 1936. The name "Stinker" was derived from competitors who were angry about his low prices. The skunk mascot was named Fearless Farris. This sign appears to be modern. The skunk in the older signs had an animated tail like this one. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Saving Center [gone]
Idaho Falls, ID
The Saving Center closed in 2008. In 2013, the building was being readied for demolition. By 2014, the building and rooftop sign were gone. The parking sign remains. For more, see this website.

former Paris Cafe
Idaho Falls, ID
2008: 2014:
The Paris Cafe, a Chinese restaurant, became the the London Cafe in 2008. By 2011, Yummy House was in the space. All of the sign panels were replaced except for the central neon pagoda. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Idaho Signs
page 2
Boise Signs Pocatello Signs Main Signs Page