email: roadarch@outlook.com

Florida Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Pulse Bar and Lounge
Lakeland, FL
Performance
Car Wash
Lakeland, FL
Southgate Shopping Center
Lakeland, FL
The Pulse Bar and Lounge has been here since 1940. It was originally known as the Green Parrot Bar. The text panel had neon then. The sign was updated with a plastic box but the parrot still has neon. By 2016, the parrot had been repainted. [map]

The Performance Car Wash sign was missing his upper torso on the other side when this photo was taken in 2009. It was repaired by 2011. Does anyone know how long this sign has been here and if it was always used for the car wash? [map]

The Southgate Shopping Center was built in 1957. It appeared in the 1990 movie "Edward Scissorhands." The arch sign is 70 feet tall and was designed by Publix which still has a supermarket on site. There was a somewhat similar sign at the Northgate Shopping Center in Winter Park, FL. [map]

Dick's Auto Sales [gone]
Lakeland, FL
Sunset Motel
Lakeland, FL
Prestler's Motel
Lakeland, FL
Southside Cleaners
Lakeland, FL
Southside
Cleaners [gone]
Lakeland, FL
Dick's Auto Sales was established in 1945. This sign appeared to be from the 1950s or 1960s. While the business is still there, the sign was destroyed by a tornado in 2011.

The Sunset Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. This photo is from 2009. The upper part of the sign with the sun was removed in 2011. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Prestler's Motel is just down the road from the Sunset Motel and was probably built around the same time. [map]

Southside Cleaners has two locations in Lakeland. The original building dates from 1954 when Florida Drive-In Cleaners was here. The original Lakeland sign was erected in 1962. It was designed by the then 12-year-old Greg Meyers whose parents owned the business. Greg and his mother put together the sayings on the sign, changed weekly, since the beginning. His mother passed away in 2015 and Greg carries on the tradition. [map]

The second Southside Cleaners in Lakeland was built in 1992. Its sign imitated the style of the original. The photo above is from 2007. This location was still there in 2011. By 2016, the building and sign were gone. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [second and third photos thanks Greg Meyers]

More Lakeland Signs:
Canada Dry [vintage]
Jenkins Lincoln-Mercury
Reececliff Family Diner

Overseas Liquor & Lounge
Marathon, FL
Walgreens
Miami, FL
The Overseas Liquor & Lounge building was originally part of the Overseas Lodge with a restaurant and motel rooms. [map]

Walgreens occupies a former Firestone tire store from 1929. The scaffolding originally supported a Firestone sign. Five letters from the original sign were saved and incorporated into this new sign. The sign is 84 feet long and 36 feet tall. [map]

Robert's Drugs [gone]
Miami, FL
Coppertone
Miami, FL
Little River Seed [gone]
Miami, FL
Robert's had another great old rooftop sign. The store is still there but it has been remodeled and the sign was removed. The Miami chain has three other locations and this was their first.

The 35 foot tall Coppertone sign was created in 1959. Originally, there was painted text on the wall next to the dog and girl that read "Tan Don't Burn" in addition the Coppertone letters. The sign was located downtown on Biscayne Blvd. until 1992. It was then refurbished and moved to Flagler St. where it remained until 2008. It was then removed, refurbished, and reinstalled in 2008 at its present location on Biscayne. Each letter and the figures are composed of backlit plastic panels. The colored panels are actually recreations of the originals. [map]

There were at least three other Coppertone billboards installed in Miami, Miami Beach and Hollywood, FL. One near a freeway exit featured an animated terrier tugging at the girl's bathing suit. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

This Little River Seed sign is now in a private collection. The Poodle piece was bent and twisted in the opposite direction when this photo was taken in 2009.

Frankie's Pizza
Miami, FL
Rayco Auto Interiors [gone]
Miami, FL
Frankie's Pizza and this sign were built in the late 1950s. This sign appears to have been updated to a more modern style though. [map]

Rayco Auto Interiors has been around since the 1950s. By 2009, the signs had been removed and a paint store was occupying the building. I believe the round sign at the left is in a private collection.

More Miami Signs:
Allen's Drugs [gone]
Frolics Motel [vintage; gone]
Jungle Island
Reddy Kilowatt

Fu Manchu
Restaurant [gone]
Miami Beach, FL
Cisco's Cafe [gone]
Miami Springs, FL
Cameo Photo Supply [gone]
Ocala, FL
The Fu Manchu Restaurant opened in 1935. The restaurant closed in 2006 and this rooftop sign is now gone. Another Chinese restaurant occupies the building now. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Cisco's Cafe sign was probably modern. The restaurant was demolished in 2007 and the sign is gone. For more, see this website.

Cameo Photo Supply opened in 1951. The store moved to this location in 1958. The signs are probably from then. These photos are from 2009. The store closed in 2011. Since at least 2013, the building has housed a lawyer's office and the signs were adapted. The neon and arrow are gone. [map]

More Miami Beach Signs:
Hotel Henrosa

Sundays Motel
Ocala, FL
Sun Plaza Motel
Ocala, FL
The Sundays Motel and Sun Plaza Motel have the same plastic sun incorporated into their signs. I don't know if the motels were related but certainly these signs must have been produced by the same company.

The Sun Plaza Motel was built in 1950. These photos are from 2007 and 2009. In 2015, the sign was restored. At that time, the sun face was replaced with a new "BG" panel. The owner, Bobby Genovese, has renamed the motel the "BG Sun Plaza." For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [night photo thanks Robby Delius] [Sundays map]; [Sun Plaza map]

Lorito's
Italian Kitchen
Ocala, FL
Holiday Motel
Ocala, FL
Lorito's Italian Kitchen opened in 1970. This fourteen foot tall neon sign was built at that time. In 2009, after this photo was taken, the sign was knocked down by a car. The sign suffered extensive damage. Instead of repainting the sign, vinyl overlays were affixed to the sign's original steel faces. The sign company felt this was the best way to reproduce the sign's shading and texture. A UV coating was applied to prevent fading in the sun. The neon was also replaced. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Holiday Motel was definitely inspired by Holiday Inn signs. The arrow sign definitely borrowed the font style. The neon tubing at the top of the larger sign also mimics the Holiday Inn starburst. These photos are from 2009. By 2013, the arrow sign which was at the base of the sign was gone. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More Ocala Signs:
Star Motel

FL (page 1) FL (page 3) FL (page 4)

Main Signs Page