email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Colorado Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Crestline Motor Hotel
Commerce City, CO
Hi U Inn Motel
Commerce City, CO
The Crestline Motor Hotel sign is probably from the 1950s. The sign has been adapted to share it with Crestline Storage. For more, see this website. [map]

The Hi U Inn Motel was originally the Hi-U Motel. The sign is about 30 feet tall. It was probably built in the 1950s. This photo is from 2012. In 2014, the holes from the neon tubing were patched and the sign was repainted. For more, see this website. [map]

Deno's 6 & 85 Restaurant
Commerce City, CO
Deno's 6 & 85 Restaurant signs appear to be from the 1950s. [map]

Hi-Lo Market
Commerce City, CO
The Hi-Lo Market opened here in 1965. The building was constructed in 1953 for Busley's supermarket. This was a Red Owl supermarket in the early 1960s. I don't know if these signs were built for Hi-Lo or if they were adapted from a previous occupant. They both had neon originally. [map]

Howard's Sporting Goods [gone]
Cortez, CO
Tomahawk Motel
Cortez, CO
Cork 'n Bottle
Cortez, CO
KOA Loma Linda
Kampground & Motel
Cotopaxi, CO
Howard's Sporting Goods opened in 1959. The store closed around 2006 when this photo was taken. These signs were gone by 2007. [photo thanks Dwight Warren]

The Tomahawk Motel was originally known as the Tomahawk Lodge. This sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Cork 'n Bottle sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [photo thanks Dwight Warren] [map]

The KOA Loma Linda Kampground & Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. There is a similar sign in Pagosa Springs, CO. For more, see this website. [map]

Four Winds
Motel
Durango, CO
Siesta Motel
Durango, CO
The Four Winds Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The Siesta Motel opened in 1956 and the sign is probably from then. [map]

More Durango:
Caboose Motel
Chief Restaurant

Lucky U Motel
Englewood, CO
Violet Showcase [gone]
Englewood, CO
Anderson's Vacuum &
Sewing Center
Englewood, CO
Colorado
Shaver Center
Englewood, CO
The Lucky U Motel was probably built in the 1940s or 1950s. It had a horseshoe and four-leaf clover sign originally. This sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. This photo is from 2012. By 2013, the neon "Lucky U" had been replaced with backlit plastic letters. The "Motel" letters were probably neon originally as well. For more, see this website. [map]

The Violet Showcase sold African Violets and related supplies. The store opened in 1969 and this sign was probably from then. This photo is from 2012. By 2014, the business and sign were gone.

Anderson's Vacuum & Sewing Center and the Colorado Shaver Center are next door neighbors. These signs appear to be fairly new and were apparently created by the same sign company. Anderson's was established in 1947. The Colorado Shaver Center opened in 1963. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

El Rancho Restaurant
Evergreen, CO
Gold Crown Lanes
Fort Morgan, CO
The El Rancho Restaurant was established in 1948. This sign may be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

The Gold Crown Lanes opened in 1960 and this sign is probably from then. [map]

Fowler
State Bank
Fowler, CO
Riviera Restaurant
Glendale, CO
Doc Holliday's Tavern
Glenwood Springs, CO
Ace-Hi Tavern
Golden, CO
The Fowler State Bank sign is probably from the 1930s or 1940s. It is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

The Riviera Restaurant sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. When the Las Delicias restaurant moved into the building, they added a panel below the sign or adapted one that was already there. The font of "Riviera" makes me wonder if there was a relationship between this restaurant and the Riviera Motel in Aurora, CO. [map]

The Doc Holliday's Tavern sign is 20 feet tall. It is probably from the 1950s. When the neon is working properly, the pistol's gunfire flashes on and off. Doc Holliday was a famous gambler and gunfighter in the late 1800s. He died of tuberculosis in Glenwood Springs in 1887. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Ace-Hi Tavern opened around 1945. This sign appears to be from the 1950s and/or 1960s. The "Bar" sign with the martini had neon originally. [map]

Welcome Arch
Golden, CO
The Welcome Arch, is a 58 foot span over the main street downtown. It was built in 1949 and has been refurbished several times over the years. The sign originally had neon and read "Where the West Remains". It now reads "Where the West Lives". The neon was removed in 1975. In 2009, the steel panels were replaced with aluminum replicas. For more, see this website. [map]

Mountain Muffler
Golden, CO
Golden Bowl [gone]
Golden, CO
Mountain Muffler opened in 1985. This single-sided sign may have been built then. [map]

The Golden Bowl was built in 1955 and these signs appear to be from then. They had neon originally. The pin on the rooftop sign originally had a bowling ball where the "O" is. The bowling alley closed in 2014. The rooftop sign will be displayed inside the grocery store that will be built on the lot. The pole sign was donated to Golden preservationists. This sign was built around 1956 for the Golden Bowl Inn next door. It was taken over by the bowling alley in the 1970s.

CO (page 1) CO (page 3) CO (page 4) CO (page 5) Denver

Main Signs Page