email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

San Francisco Signs (page 4)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Hotel Verona
San Francisco, CA
Hotel Senator
San Francisco, CA
Woerner's Liquors
San Francisco, CA
The Hotel Verona was built in 1908. This sign is probably from the 1920s or 1930s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Hotel Senator was built in 1913 or 1924 (many conflicting sources). This sign is probably from the 1920s or 1930s. It was restored around 2001. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Woerner's Liquors signs appear to be from the 1950s. They were all red and white originally. The non-projecting signs were painted black and orange in 2013. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Hotel Elm
San Francisco, CA
Admiral Hotel
San Francisco, CA
Butterick Garage
San Francisco, CA
The Hotel Elm sign is probably from the 1920s. [map]

The Admiral Hotel was built in 1916. This sign is probably from the 1920s. [map]

The Butterick Garage was built in 1918. This sign appears to be 1950s or earlier. [map]

Hotel Essex
San Francisco, CA
The Hotel Essex was built in 1912. These signs are probably from the 1920s or 1930s. For more, see this website. [map]

Avedano's Holly Park Market
San Francisco, CA
Star Bakery
San Francisco, CA
Pasquale's Pizzeria Restaurant
San Francisco, CA
Avedano's Holly Park Market opened in 2007. This sign was adapted from Bleuss Meats by adding a new top panel. The sign is probably from the 1950s. The building has housed a butcher shop since 1901. For more, see this website. [map]

The Star Bakery opened in 1899 and closed in 1998. This sign which is probably from the 1950s or earlier remains. [map]

Pasquale's Pizzeria Restaurant opened in 1959. This sign appears to be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Muzio's Wine Liquor
San Francisco, CA
Appel & Dietrich Market
San Francisco, CA
The Muzio's Wine Liquor sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

The Appel & Dietrich Market sign is probably from the 1950s or earlier. [map]

Tommy's Joynt
San Francisco, CA
Tommy's Joynt opened in 1947. This sign may be from then. [map]

Gino and Carlo
San Francisco, CA
Mona Lisa
San Francisco, CA
The Gino and Carlo bar opened in 1942. This sign appears to be from then. [map]

This Mona Lisa sign has apparently been adapted from a previous business. Does anyone know what was here originally? [map]

Golden Boy Pizza
San Francisco, CA
La Pantera Cafe
San Francisco, CA
Golden Boy Pizza opened in 1978. This sign is probably from then. A second location opened in San Mateo in 2011 with an identical sign. When that location closed in 2012, the sign was removed and is now located inside the Neon Works sign shop in Emeryville, CA. For more, see this website. [map]

The La Pantera Cafe is gone but this sign remains. The sign appears to be from the 1950s or earlier. [map]

Cafe Du Nord
San Francisco, CA
Marquard's Smoke Shop
San Francisco, CA
The Cafe Du Nord opened in 1907. This sign is probably from the 1950s or earlier. The arrow signifies that the nightclub is located in the basement. [map]

Marquard's Smoke Shop closed in 2004 but the sign remains. The City declared the sign a landmark. It appears to be from the 1950s or earlier. In 2016, the neon was removed and the text had been painted over. [map]

Western Manufacturing Co.
San Francisco, CA
Twin Peaks Tavern
San Francisco, CA
The Western Manufacturing Co. is long gone but this sign remains. It is probably from the 1950s and originally had neon. [map]

The Twin Peaks Tavern opened in 1935. This sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Gaspare's Pizza House & Italian Restaurant
San Francisco, CA
Gaspare's Pizza House & Italian Restaurant opened in 1985. The projecting sign was built in 1958 and originally advertised for Vince's Pizza House. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Siegel's
San Francisco, CA
Siegel's, a men's and boy's clothing store, opened in 1889. This sign appears to be from the 1920s or 1930s. Although the neon is gone, the tin border is intact. [map]

The Old Clam House
San Francisco, CA
The Old Clam House was established in 1861. It is San Francisco's oldest restaurant. This sign was produced in 2012 by Golden Gate Sign. It replaced this sign. For more, see this website. [map]

Diet Coke / Coca-Cola
San Francisco, CA

2008:

2014:
Coca-Cola has maintained a billboard sign on top of this building since 1937. Since at least 2005, the sign displayed "Enjoy Diet Coke" on one side and "Enjoy Coca-Cola" on the other. Since 2010, when the neon was replaced with LED lighting, both sides of the sign read "Enjoy Coca-Cola." The sign is 70 feet long and 30 feet tall. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

More San Francisco Signs:
17 Reasons Why [gone]
Elite Cafe
Hamm's Beer [gone]
High Tide Lounge: 1, 2
Lun On Co. [gone]
Palmer's Tavern
Poultry & Fish [gone]
R.L. Rubel Optometrist [gone]
Royal Pacific Motor Inn
Schroeder's Restaurant
Schrump Flowers
Shasta Cola [map]
Star Motel: 1, 2
Villa Romana Pizzeria & Restaurant [gone]
various signs
San Francisco Neon City [video]
San Francisco Neon [book]

San Francisco
(page 1)
San Francisco
(page 2)
San Francisco
(page 3)
Alameda Bakersfield Fresno Hayward &
San Leandro
Long Beach Los Angeles
Oakland Sacramento San Diego Area San Jose Stockton Museum of
Neon Art
Other
California

Main Signs Page