email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Arizona Signs: Tucson (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Miracle Mile signs
Tucson, AZ
Riviera Motor Lodge
Tucson, AZ
This trio of Miracle Mile signs are lit at night: the Riviera Motor Lodge, the Monterey Court, and the Sunland Motel.

The Riviera Motor Lodge was built in 1953 and this sign is from then. The sign was originally installed on a shorter pole and located closer to the road. For more, see this website.

Monterey Court
Tucson, AZ
The Monterey Court was built in the late 1930s. The name was changed by the early 1940s to the Monterey Motel. This sign was built at that point. In 2011, the motel was converted into a complex of gallery space, stores and a cafe. The sign was restored and changed back to read "Monterey Court." The first photo is from 2004; the other photos are from 2012.

Sunland Motel
Tucson, AZ
The Sunland Motel was built in 1949 and this sign is from then.

Grant-Stone Shopping Center [gone]
Tucson, AZ
Quail Inn
Tucson, AZ
Ghost Ranch Lodge & Restaurant
Tucson, AZ
The Grant-Stone Shopping Center sign is from 1961. The sign was removed in 2014. It has been saved and will probably be installed in another location eventually. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Quail Inn was built in 1936 as the De Luxe Motel. The vacancy sign is probably from then. After World Ward II, the name was changed to the Starline Motel. This sign was built then. At some point it was adapted when the name changed to the Quail Inn. For more, see this website.

The Ghost Ranch Lodge & Restaurant was built in 1941. This sign was built in 1952. The cow skull feature was designed by Georgia O'Keefe. The word "Restaurant" was added to the sign after 1958. The sign was restored in 2010. The complex is now used for senior housing. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Frontier Motel
Tucson, AZ
The Frontier Motel was built in 1941 as the Pioneer Motel. It was sold and renamed the Frontier Motel in 1943. This sign is from then.

El Sol Apartments
Tucson, AZ
Amazon Motel
Tucson, AZ
Hotel Congress
Tucson, AZ
The El Sol Apartments was originally built as the El Sol Motel. The sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. The remaining neon was removed when the sign was adapted for the name change. For more, see this website.

The Amazon Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. There were originally four sign boxes on the pole where the "Truck Parking" box is. The balls at the top were red. For more, see this website.

The Hotel Congress was built in 1919. This rooftop sign was built around 1940. For more, see this website.

Tucson Warehouse and Transfer Company
Tucson, AZ
The Tucson Warehouse and Transfer Company is long gone but these signs remain. The rooftop sign was built in 1943. The top part of the sign's Mayflower moving truck blew off in 2002 and has been missing since then. For more, see this website.

La Siesta Motel
Tucson, AZ
The La Siesta Motel was built in 1941 and these two signs are from then. For more, see this website.

Wallace's
Cowboy Outfitters
Tucson, AZ
Flash TV
& Appliance
Tucson, AZ
Color TV King
Tucson, AZ
Tiki Motel
Tucson, AZ
Wallace's Cowboy Outfitters is long gone but this sign remains. It was built in 1969 and had neon originally. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Flash TV & Appliance store appeared to be closed when this photo was taken in 2012. The sign was built in 1965.

The Color TV King store is gone but this sign remains. It was built in 1950.

The Tiki Motel was built in 1940 as the Oracle Motel. The motel was remodeled and renamed the Tiki Motel in 1963. This sign is from then. It features a combination neon and plastic sign. The flame used to flash on and off. I don't think there was ever anything tiki-ish about the motel itself.

Owl Lodge
Tucson, AZ
Casa Linda Motel
Tucson, AZ
The Owl Lodge sign is from 1955. The units are now used for apartments. For more, see this website.

The Casa Linda Motel sign was built in 1951. After the first photo above was taken in 2008, the "Motel" portion of the sign was painted over. The units are now used as apartments. The second photo is from 2012.

Alamo
Apartments
Tucson, AZ
Cross Roads
Drive Inn
Tucson, AZ
Arizona Motel
Tucson, AZ
Gateway Saguaro
Tucson, AZ
The Alamo Apartments were built in 1937. The rooms have been used for low-cost housing for many years. This sign was built in 1948.

The Cross Roads Drive Inn sign was built in 1951. There is now a Mexican restaurant there.

The Arizona Motel opened in 1930. The sign was built in 1939 and originally read Arizona Tourist Court. It was not lit at night when I was there in 2012. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Gateway Saguaro was created and installed in 2010. It was designed by local artist, Dirk Arnold. The sign is 30 feet tall and reads "Tucson" on one side and "Miracle Mile" on the other. The city spent about $70,000 for the sign. For more, see this website.

Tucson (page 2) AZ (page 1) AZ (page 2) AZ (page 3) AZ (page 4) Mesa Phoenix
Main Signs Page

copyright: all photos contained at this website are copyrighted and may be used only with consent

RoadsideArchitecture.com