email: roadarch@outlook.com

Oklahoma Mid-Century Modern Buildings (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Stage Center [gone]
Oklahoma City, OK
Stage Center was designed by John M. Johansen and built from 1965-1970. It was originally known as the "Mummers Theater" and was also called the "Oklahoma Theater Center". It consisted of three concrete structures connected by ramps. There were two theaters and a smaller unit which was used for a cabaret, offices, and rehearsal space. The award-winning complex was praised but also mocked for its "tinker toy geometry." Stage Center closed in 1986. It was renovated and reopened in 1992. In 2010, the building was extensively damaged by flooding and it remained vacant after that. In 2014, the building was demolished. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

former Fotomat
Guthrie, OK
former Fotomat
Oklahoma City, OK
Both of these former Fotomats appeared to be abandoned when these photos were taken in 2011. The Fotomat drive-thru photo developing chain was established in San Diego, CA in the 1960s. Their kiosks were located in shopping center parking lots. By 1980, there were over 4,000 locations nationwide. The original buildings had gold roofs. With the invention of one-hour developing, Fotomat's one-day service became obsolete. The company began selling off its kiosks in the mid-1980s. For more about the chain, see this page. [Guthrie map]; [OKC map]

Metro Cleaners
Oklahoma City, OK
The Metro Cleaners building was designed by Hudgins Thompson & Ball. It was built in 1953 as a Nuway Cleaners. The upstairs originally housed nine apartments. The building also currently houses Granada Floral. There are apartments on the upper floor. This photo is from 2011. The building was vacant in 2016. [map]

Will Rogers Garden Exhibition Building
Oklahoma City, OK
The Will Rogers Garden Exhibition Building was designed by Turnbull & Mills and built in 1963. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Salvation Army [gone]
Oklahoma City, OK
These Salvation Army buildings were built in 1960 and 1961. The office building was designed by Hudgins-Thompson-Ball. The Outreach Center was designed by Robert D. Stone. These photos are from 2011. That same year, it was announced that the buildings would be demolished for a new park. The buildings were gone by 2015.

Associated Glass
Oklahoma City, OK
The Associated Glass building was designed by Fred Pojezny, Jr. and built in 1956. There was a fire in 2009 and the building was still vacant in 2011 when these photos were taken. The business has since reopened. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Fire Station #10
Oklahoma City, OK
Fire Station #10 was designed by Harold A. Hite and built in 1973. [map]