email: roadarch@outlook.com

California Mid-Century Modern Churches (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

First Assembly of God
Rialto, CA
The First Assembly of God appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. This church was previously painted light blue. For more, see this website. [map]

Rialto United Methodist Church
Rialto, CA
La Verne United Methodist Church
La Verne, CA
The Rialto United Methodist Church was probably built in the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The La Verne United Methodist Church was built in 1961. It is best known for its appearance in the 1967 movie "The Graduate." [map]

Trinity Lutheran Church
Indio, CA
The Trinity Lutheran Church appears to have been built in the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Wesley United Methodist Church
Riverside, CA
The Wesley United Methodist Church was designed by Clinton Marr and built from 1959-1960. [map]

All Saints' Episcopal Church
Watsonville, CA
The All Saints' Episcopal Church was built in 1962. [map]

First Lutheran Church of Northridge
Northridge, CA
The First Lutheran Church of Northridge was built in 1964. It was designed by Orr, Strange, Inslee & Senefeld. The building now houses the LIFEhouse Church. [map]

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church
Northridge, CA
The St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church was designed by Harry Harrison and built in 1966. For more, see this website. [map]

Congregational Church of Northridge
Northridge, CA
Sepulveda Unitarian Universalist Society
North Hills, CA
The Congregational Church of Northridge was designed by A. Quincy Jones and Frederick E. Emmons and built in 1962. [map]

The Sepulveda Unitarian Universalist Society sanctuary was designed by Frank Ehrenthal and built in 1964. The building is commonly referred to as "The Onion" because of its shape. For more, see this website. [map]

Knollwood United Methodist Church
Granada Hills, CA
The Knollwood United Methodist Church was designed by Hal C. Whittemore and built in 1966. [map]

First United Methodist Church
Glendale, CA
The First United Methodist Church was designed by Flewelling & Moody and completed in 1961. The three-legged, Trilon belltower is 112 feet tall. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Vallejo Drive Seventh-Day Adventist Church
Glendale, CA
The Vallejo Drive Seventh-Day Adventist Church was designed by Robert Burman and built in 1967. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

St. Matthew's Lutheran Church
Glendale, CA
The St. Matthew's Lutheran Church was designed by Culver Heaton and built in 1962. [map]

Self-Realization Fellowship Temple
Glendale, CA
The Self-Realization Fellowship Temple was originally built for the Glendale Church of Religious Science. It appears to be from the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Salem Lutheran Church
Glendale, CA
The Salem Lutheran Church was dedicated in 1959. [map]