email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Tombstone House

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

The Tombstone House in Petersburg, VA was built by Oswald Young in 1934. The house was made from 2,200 marble tombstones of Union soldiers killed in the siege of Petersburg. There are two versions of the story behind how this house came to be. One is that the cemetery removed the tombstones and replaced them with something easier to maintain. Those tombstones were sold to Young who faced the inscriptions inwards and plastered over them. The more likely story is that the cemetery uprooted the tombstones, cut off the lower portions, and laid them flat on the ground. These bases were then sold to Young.

Special Places
Main Page

copyright: all photos contained at this website are copyrighted and may be used only with consent

RoadsideArchitecture.com