email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Pagoda Roof Gas Stations

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

former station
Atlanta, GA
This building might have been a former station judging from its size and position on the lot. It is now used as a cell phone store. The pagoda roof style is similar to the Wadhams stations shown below but is unrelated. There is a modern gas station in front of this building now.

The Wadhams Oil Company gas stations were designed by Alexander Eschweiler. These small, red pagoda roofed stations were built in the Midwest between 1917 and 1930. At one time, there were more than 100 of them but there are only a handful of these buildings left. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

former Wadhams station
Cedarburg, WI
This former Wadhams station was built in 1926. It was built for William Schnabel and known as Billy's Service Station. It was a Texaco station as far back as the 1930s. In the 1970s, it housed a Firestone tire store. The building now houses Pagoda Jewelry.

former Wadhams station
Wild Rose, WI
This former Wadhams station was built in 1928. The service bay building was built in the 1940s. The station closed in 1978. The building was vacant when these photos were taken in 2011. For more, see this website.

former Wadhams station
Milwaukee, WI
This former Wadhams station has been vacant since around 2007. It housed the Grant's Soul Food Restaurant before that. These photos are from 2011.

former Wadhams station
Milwaukee, WI
This former Wadhams station is now used as the office of Bargain Town Autos, a small used car dealer.

former Wadhams station
West Allis, WI
This former Wadhams station was built in 1927 and is still in its original location. When it was built, there were more than 30 Wadhams stations in the Milwaukee area and more than 100 in the Midwest. Frank Seneca operated the station from 1954-1978 and donated it to the City when he retired. It was restored in 2000 to its 1950s state. The interior is now a mini museum of gas station products and equipment. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

former Wadhams station
West Allis, WI
This former Milwaukee Wadhams station was disassembled in 2002. It sat in a lot until 2004 when the roof was moved to State Fair Park. There was talk of the the pagoda station being rebuilt as the gateway to the International Village but nothing has happened. The roof still sits in a remote corner of the Park. For more, see this website.

former Wadhams station
Aurora, IL
This former Wadhams station was built in 1924. Much later, the building was used by the Red Top restaurant, evidently, named after the red roof which is about all that seems to remain of the station. The building now houses a Mexican restaurant.

former Wadhams station
Waterford, WI
This former Wadhams station had humble beginnings as a repair shop which added a gas pump in 1911. The business began selling Wadhams gas in 1922. In 1934, this station was built. Although the Tudor Revival style building has been remodeled significantly, the tower still remains. The building is used as a Mobil station now. The pumps were originally located on the tower side of the building. There were peaked windows and a door at the base of the tower. For more, see this website.

More Wadhams Stations:
Milwaukee, WI [vintage; gone]

Main Gas Page

copyright: all photos contained at this website are copyrighted and may be used only with consent

RoadsideArchitecture.com