email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Washington Eateries

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Pastime Cafe [gone]
Walla Walla, WA
The Pastime Cafe opened in 1925 and closed in 2008. In 2016, the place reopened as the Passatempo Taverna. The facade was redone and the sign was either reworked or replaced with a similar one reflecting the new name. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

Mike's Chili Parlor
Seattle, WA
2008: 2015:
Mike's Chili Parlor opened here in 1922. This building replaced the original in 1940. For more, see this website. [map]

Canlis
Seattle, WA
The Canlis restaurant was designed by Roland Terry and Pete Wimberly. It was built in 1950 and originally known as Canlis' Charcoal Broiler. For more, see this website. [map]

Spud Fish & Chips
Alki Beach
Seattle, WA
Spud Fish & Chips
Green Lake
Seattle, WA
Spud Fish & Chips
Juanita Beach
Kirkland, WA
Spud Fish & Chips started out as a seafood shack in 1935 on Alki Beach. There are three vintage locations and a brand new location in Edmonds, WA. For more, see this website.

The Alki Beach location is now owned by Ivar's Seafood but retains the Spud name. The building is probably from the 1960s. [map]

The Green Lake building is from 1959. [map]

The Juanita Beach location was built in 1969. [map]

Burgerville [gone]
Vancouver, WA
This Burgerville location opened in 1962 as a Burgerville USA. This was the second location and the oldest survivor. It was the only location with walk-up only service. In 2011, this location was demolished. I assume the sign was destroyed as well. There are now about 38 locations in Washington and Oregon. The only other vintage location that I know of is the one in Beaverton, OR. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

Andy's Diner (now Orient Express)
Seattle, WA

2008:

2015:
Andy's Diner opened in 1949 and closed in 2008. The restaurant included several adapted former railroad cars. In 2009, the place reopened as the Orient Express. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. [map]

Lalo's Pizza Depot
Spokane Valley, WA

Lalo's Pizza Depot occupies a 1951 Pennsylvania Railroad locomotive, a Pullman sleeper car from 1914, and a Burlington Northern caboose. The train cars have been here since 1985 when they were installed for use as a children's dentist office. The cars were painted orange at that time and given the name of the "Spokane International Railroad." When the dentist retired around 2009, the cars and property were put up for sale. In 2014, the cars became home to Choo-Choo Pizza. It became Lalo's Pizza Depot in 2015. For more, see this website. [map]

Knight's Diner
Spokane, WA

Knight's Diner opened in 1949. It is housed in a former Northern Pacific Railroad luxury dining car from 1906. The dining car was used on the Yellowstone route until 1920. Knight's Diner moved the restaurant railcar to its current location in 1989. The sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Frank's Diner
Spokane, WA

Frank's Diner is housed in a Barney Smith "observation car" which was built in 1906. It was used by the Northern Pacific Railroad from 1909 until 1931. At that time, it was converted into a diner in Seattle. It operated there until 1991. In 1992, the rail car was moved to Spokane, restored, and opened as Frank's Diner. For more, see this website. [map]

Jacobi's Cafe
Walla Walla, WA

Jacobi's Cafe is housed in a former railroad depot which was built in 1914. In 1989, the building was renovated as a retail center known as "The Depot." In 1991, a 1950s railroad car was transported from Portland, OR and installed as an addition to Jacobi's Cafe. The car had been used by Amtrak until about 1986. Jacobi's had the interior restored to look like a 1916 Pullman dining car. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Washington
Drive-ins
Washington
Ice Cream
Eateries Main Page