email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Texas Drive-ins (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Cee N Dee's Bar-B-Que
Amarillo, TX
Cee N Dee's Bar-B-Que is long gone. Originally, this building was occupied by Twing's Drive Inn which opened in 1957. This photo is from 2006. By 2013, the property seemed to in use as a used car lot. [map]

Top Notch Hamburgers
Austin, TX
Top Notch Hamburgers opened in 1971. The restaurant still features car hops. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Pig Stand drive-in chain was founded in Dallas in 1921. By 1925, there were six locations in Dallas. By the mid-1930s, there were more than 120 locations in Texas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, Florida, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Alabama. Facing competition from other fast food restaurants, all but the Texas locations were sold off. In 2006, all but one of the remaining dozen or so locations closed.

Pig Stand #24 (now China Garden)
Presa St.
San Antonio, TX
The Pig Stand on Presa St. opened in 1922. The building has apparently been rebuilt or substantially remodeled since then. In the early 1990s, the owner discovered "The Big Pig" structure sitting in a junkyard. It was restored and moved to this location's parking lot. The Pig is 12 feet tall, seven feet wide, and 10 feet long. It is not known where the Pig was installed originally. Some believe it was originally built for a Pig Stand. Others believe it was used as a car hop shelter at another drive-in.

The Presa St. location closed in 2006. The building remained vacant until 2010 when Frank's Hog Stand took over. These photos are from 2011. Since 2012, the new occupant is the China Garden restaurant. The sign has been adapted and the roof has been painted green. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

former Pig Stand #41 [gone]
Beaumont, TX
The Pig Stand in Beaumont opened in 1941. It closed in 2006. These photos are from 2011. In 2014, the building was designated one of Texas' Most Endangered Places by Preservation Texas. The building remained vacant until it was demolished in 2016. The neon signs on the roof were saved by a collector. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Mary Ann's Pig Stand
San Antonio, TX
Mary Ann's Pig Stand opened as Pig Stand #29 in 1927. Due to the construction of I-35, sometime after 1956, the restaurant was rebuilt at this location. When the restaurant closed in 2006, long-time employee Mary Ann Hill bought it. It reopened in 2007 and is the last operating Pig Stand. For more, see this website. [map]

Keller's Hamburgers
Dallas, TX
This Keller's Hamburgers on Harry Hines Blvd. opened in Dallas in 1950. This sign was built in the early 1990s to replace and simulate an older, damaged one. These photos are from 2011. By 2014, this sign had been replaced with a new one with backlit plastic letters. There are two other Keller's locations in Dallas. The one on Northwest Highway still has the vintage sign. For more, see this website. [map]

Prince of Hamburgers [gone]
Dallas, TX
The Prince of Hamburgers claimed to be the oldest, continuously operating, drive-in in the country. They opened around 1927 and closed in 2005. The Prince featured car hops and homemade root beer. The sign and canvas awnings were saved by a private collector. The building was demolished and replaced with a strip mall. For more, see this website.

Texas
Drive-ins (page 2)
Texas
Misc.
Eateries Main Page