email: roadarch@outlook.com

Pennsylvania Ice Cream Stands

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

The Igloo
Chambersburg, PA
Franklin Fountain
Philadelphia, PA
The Igloo opened in 1950. The stand still uses the original stainless steel churns for their ice cream. [map]

The Franklin Fountain opened in 2004 and serves homemade ice cream. This ice cream parlor is a recreation which is decorated with antique fixtures. It has the oldest operating soda fountain which was previously located in Chicago. For more, see this website. [map]

Longacre's Modern Dairy Bar
Barto, PA
Longacre's Modern Dairy Bar has been open since 1920. They are adjacent to the Longacre Dairy and use the milk to produce their ice cream. They also serve sandwiches and have takeout tubs of ice cream. [map]

Heisler's Cloverleaf Dairy
Tamaqua, PA
Heisler's Cloverleaf Dairy started in 1924 as a milk delivery service. In 1957, they started producing ice cream. In addition to 40 flavors of ice cream, their farmland location also has a restaurant, miniature golf, driving range, gift shop, and purple martin colony. For more, see this website. [map]

Jim Mack's Ice Cream
Cones & Clubs
Hellam, PA
Jim Mack's Ice Cream was established in 1958. They still make the ice cream on the premises and have expanded the menu to include burgers and the like. In 1984, they added a cute 18-hole miniature golf course and became also known as Cones & Clubs. There are also animals for the kids to feed: pigs, goats, llamas, bears, etc. [map]

The Meadows
Altoona, PA
The Meadows opened in 1950 with a stand in Duncansville, PA. This building looks to be from the same era. The interior has lots of 1950s photos of the Altoona, PA area. The stand also features frozen custard and Orange Fluff. The Meadows now has six locations. For more, see this website. [map]

Klavon's Ice Cream Parlor
Pittsburgh, PA
Klavon's Pharmacy opened in the mid-1920s as an ice cream parlor and drug store. A second location was destroyed in a flood in 1936. This location closed in 1979 and remained boarded up for 20 years. In 1999, the owner's grandson reopened it as Klavon's Ice Cream Parlor. The interior and fixtures are all original. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

former Regis Steedle
Millvale, PA
Regis Steedle opened in 1935 as an ice cream shop. Until 2006 when the shop closed, the ice cream was made on the premises, using 14% butterfat (the highest allowed in PA). There were about 16 flavors to choose from. Steedle's also made sandwiches and homemade chocolates which it shipped around the world. The hanging signs are gone but the painted sign is still there. The building was still vacant as of 2016. [map]

More Pennsylvania Ice Cream Stands:
Carter's Dairy Freeze (Exeter)
The Freeze (Tunkhannock)
Snow Palace (York)

Pennsylvania
Drive-ins
Pennsylvania
Misc.
Eateries Main Page