Iowa Eateries

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Princess Cafe
Iowa Falls, IA
The Princess Cafe, aka Princess Sweet Shop, was built in 1935. The facade is faced with Carrara glass. The interior features original woodwork and candy display cases. The neon sign is the original. For more, see this website.

Tastee Inn & Out
Sioux City, IA
This Tastee Inn & Out was built in 1955. The original location is in Lincoln, NE. For more, see this website.

Barrel Drive-in
Clear Lake, IA
The Barrel Drive-in opened in 1958. This stand features a barrel sign, a giant rooster and a giant ice cream cone.

Cheri Top Drive-in
Muscatine, IA
The Cheri Top Drive-in opened in 1956 and is still operating. It features car hops.

Mickel's Family Restaurant
Harlan, IA
Mickel's Family Restaurant opened in 1948 across the street from where it is now. It moved to this location in the 1950s and functioned as a drive-in with car hops on skates. The restaurant was destroyed by a fire in the 1960s and rebuilt. These photos are from 2012. The restaurant closed in 2013. The building will most likely be demolished for a hospital development. For more, see this website.

Cedar Falls, IA
Cedar Rapids, IA
Big T Maid-Rite
Toledo, IA
This Cedar Falls Maid-Rite opened in 1947. The chain is famous for its loose meat sandwiches. The first location was built in Urbandale, IA in 1926. At one time, there were about 400 locations in nearly 20 states, most of them in the Midwest. The company is still in business and there are about 70 locations at this point. Most of these are fairly new. For more old locations, see this page. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

The Cedar Rapids Maid-Rite was built in 1935.

The Big T Maid-Rite was previously known as Scudder's Maid-Rite. This location opened in 1946 in an already existing restaurant building. In 1956, Scudder's Maid-Rite moved to its present location. For more, see this website.

Taylor's Maid-Rite
Marshalltown, IA
Taylor's Maid-Rite opened in 1928. This building was constructed in 1958, across the street from its original location. For more, see this website.

Iowa Ice Cream Main Eateries Page