(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)
|The 29 Diner is a Mountain View from 1947. It is also known as the Tastee 29 Diner. The "29" refers to the diner's location on Route 29. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.|
|The Triangle Diner's claim to fame is that Patsy Cline worked here before her singing career took off. This O'Mahony diner opened in 1948 in a lot near its current location. It got the name from the triangular piece of land that it sits on. Although the interior is mostly original, the exterior was completely covered up with wood for many years. In 2010, this wood was removed and restoration work began. The neon sign on the roof of the building was restored and was installed in 2012. The freestanding pole sign with the clock will also be restored. This diner has been designated a state landmark. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.|
Colonial Beach, VA
|The Hunan Diner is a Silk City from the 1940s. It is now used for storage for the adjacent restaurant.|
|The L&S Diner was built on-site in 1947.|
|The Exmore Diner opened here in 1954. It is a Silk City from around 1947 that was originally installed in NJ. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.|
|former Sandy's Diner
Front Royal, VA
|The former Sandy's Diner is a Mountain View from 1956. It may have been the Mount Vista Diner originally. The diner was used as the office for the Virginia Auto Group used car lot for many years. These photos are from 2008. In 2013, this diner was removed from this site and put in storage in either Virginia or Pennsylvania.|
|Blue Star Diner
Newport News, VA
|The Blue Star Diner is a Manno from 1958. It was originally installed in Woodstock, VA in 1961. In 1963, it was moved here. The rooftop structure was not original. A fire at the end of 2005 closed the diner for awhile. It reopened in 2007. However by 2010, the diner had closed again. There was talk of restoring the diner and the sign but so far, nothing has happened. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.|
|Stone's Downtown Diner
The Frost Diner is an O'Mahony from 1955. It has always been at this location. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.
Stone's Downtown Diner is a Little Chef, built by Valentine in 1952. It was originally called the Little Chef Diner, then became the N&M Diner, and is now known as Stone's Downtown Diner. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.
|Little Chef Diner
|This Little Chef Diner is another Valentine from 1952. It was moved from a previous location in Danville. For more, see this website.|
|The Hillsville Diner is a 1920s O'Mahony. It was originally in Mt. Airy, NC and was moved here in 1946. The interior has a marble counter, oak cabinets and black and white tiles. The entrance features a sliding door. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.|
|Streetcar Named Desire
|Garner's Streetcar Diner
I'll bend the rules a little to include these two diners. They are not "true" diners (pre-fabricated units) but rather converted street cars. The Streetcar Named Desire started out as a streetcar in Reidsville, NC. It was brought here and converted to a diner in 1937. It operated as Bill's Diner through the 1970s and then was sold and renamed in the 1980s. This diner has been vacant for many years.
Garner's Streetcar Diner was built in 1923 and served as a streetcar in Danville, VA until 1938. In 1939, it was brought here and converted into a diner. It operated as Burnett's Diner until the 1960s. More recently, it has been known as Garner's Streetcar Diner. However, as of 2007, it doesn't appear to be in use. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.
More VA Diners:
various cities: 1, 2
|Diners Main Page|