email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

New York City Diners (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

River Diner [gone]
New York, NY
The River Diner was a Kullman from the early 1930s. It was demolished in March 2004. [second photo thanks Mark Comstock]

Cheyenne Diner [gone]
New York, NY (now Birmingham, AL)
The Cheyenne Diner is a Paramount from 1940. It was known as the Market diner until 1986. These photos are from 2003. The Cheyenne closed in 2008 and was moved to Birmingham, AL. The diner remains in storage as of 2015. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Empire Diner
New York, NY
The Empire Diner is a Fodero from 1946. This photo is from 2009. In 2010, the Empire Diner closed. The stylized Empire State Building sculpture on the roof which was added in 1976 was removed. In 2011, this diner reopened as the Highliner but it closed again in 2012. It reopened in 2013 as the Empire Diner. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. [map]

Lunchbox Food Co. / Rib Restaurant
New York, NY
2003: 2007:
2009:
The Rib Restaurant was the last inhabitant of this Kullman diner from the 1950s. The diner was originally known as the Terminal Diner, then later known as the Lost Diner (1991), Seafood Organic (1997), the Video Diner (1999), the Reel Diner and Miss Liberty Diner. It was restored and reopened in 2002 as the Lunchbox Food Co. (above photos at left from 2003). The Rib Restaurant took over in 2005 but closed in 2006. It has been vacant, vandalized and boarded up since then. It is likely that the diner will be demolished in 2015. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. [map]

Market Diner
New York, NY

2003:

2007:
2009:
The Market Diner is a DeRaffele from 1964. At one time, there were approximately eight Market Diners in New York City, owned by the same family. This was the last one to open. In 2006, this Market Diner closed and demolition for condos seemed imminent. However, in 2008, this diner reopened. A patio area has been added and the vintage sign has been reworked. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Jackson Hole
East Elmhurst, NY
The Jackson Hole occupies a Mountain View (#441) from 1952. The diner was orginally known as the Airline Diner. It features a great, working neon sign with an airplane (the diner is not far from La Guardia Airport) and extensive neon Greek scrollwork (a reference to the Greek diner tradition). The interior is small and has what appears to be an original pink and black color scheme. For more, see this website. [map]

NYC (page 2)
NY (page 1) NY (page 2) NY (page 3) NY (page 4) NY (page 5)
Diners Main Page