email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

New Jersey Diners (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Tony's Freehold Grill
Freehold, NJ
Tony's Freehold Grill is an O'Mahony from 1947. This is its original location. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Angelo's Glassboro Diner
Glassboro, NJ
Angelo's Glassboro Diner was manufactured by Kullman in 1951. It is still in its original location. [map]

White Manna
Hacksensack, NJ
The White Manna is a Paramount, built in the late 1930s. At one time, there were five White Mannas in northern New Jersey. This diner was originally owned by the same guy that owned the White Mana in Jersey City (see below) which is the only other survivor of the chain. In 1968, this diner was moved from one lot to the next. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

vacant diner
Lawrenceville, NJ (now Hamilton, NJ)
This vacant diner is a Mountain View from the early 1950s. It was originally located in Trenton where it was known as the Calhoun Street Diner. It was moved to the Lawrenceville location in the 1960s. It was known as the Cass Diner in the late 1960s. From 1970-1984, it was known as Ben's Diner. In later years, the diner was occupied by Mrs. G's Plumbing Outlet. After that, the diner was vacant and endangered for many years. The interior was half gutted. These photos are from 2012. In 2013, it was announced that the diner needed to be moved and was available for free. In 2014, the diner was moved to Hamilton, NJ where it will be restored. There are plans to use it as classroom space for youth job training. For more, see this website.

Max's Grill [gone]
Harrison, NJ
Max's Grill was a 1927 O'Mahony, making it the oldest diner in NJ. It had been closed since at least 2006. These photos are from 2007. By 2011, the diner had disappeared. Does anyone know if it was demolished or moved? For more, see this website.

Bendix Diner
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
The Bendix Diner is a Master, built in 1947. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

White Mana
Jersey City, NJ
The White Mana was originally from the 1939 New York World's Fair and claims to be the country's first fast food eatery (the White Manna in Hackensack actually makes the same claim). The White Mana opened here in 1946. Originally, it offered carhop service. But somewhere in the 1980s, it dropped the 2nd N of Manna and stopped curb service. It was nearly demolished for a Dunkin Donuts before the owner had a change of heart. It is now landmarked and hopefully safe. It is tiny enough that the cook is also the waitperson. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Tunnel Diner
Jersey City, NJ
The Tunnel Diner was built in 1942. It closed in 2007 and will most likely be demolished. In 2014, sign was removed. The diner was still there but the lot was surrounded by chain link fencing. [map]

Miss America Diner
Jersey City, NJ
The Miss America Diner is an O'Mahony from the 1950s. [map]

NJ (page 1) NJ (page 2) NJ (page 4) NJ (page 5) NJ (page 6)

Diners Main Page