email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Massachusetts Diners (page 8)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Charlie's Diner
West Springfield, MA
Charlie's Diner is a Fodero from 1948. Although the neon sign reads "Charles", somewhere along the line this diner became known as "Charlie's". [map]

Handy Hill Creamery
Westport, MA
The Handy Hill Creamery is an ice cream stand. The owner has three diners on the property which have been sitting for a number of years. In 1998, he bought Eddie's Diner (photo top row, left) which was originally in Quincy, MA. Eddie's, a 1952 O'Mahony, had been through a fire and was scheduled for demolition. It was saved by the American Diner Museum and stored in New Bedford prior to moving here.

Behind Eddie's, is the Traveler's Diner (top row right and second row). This 1951 O'Mahony came from Dover, NJ. It was moved here in 2003. There were plans to join these two diners together to form the Handy Hill Diner. These photos are from 2009. As of 2012, there has been no progress on this project and the diners are pretty much abandoned in the weeds.

The third diner on the property is the Jimmy Evans Flyer, a 1940 Sterling Streamliner (bottom row). It is the sole remaining double-ended Streamliner. This diner was originally located in New Bedford, MA. In the 1980s, it was moved to Pocasett. In 2000, it was operating as the My Tin Man Diner when it was severely damaged in a fire. It has been here since 2003. [map]

Fillin' Station Diner
Whately, MA
The Fillin' Station Diner is a Kullman Princess from 1960. It was previously located in Chicopee, MA. It is open 24 hours and owned by the F.L. Roberts truck stop chain. The diner has great outward-slanting picture windows and sunburst-patterned stainless steel. [map]

Lanna Thai Diner
Woburn, MA
The Lanna Thai Diner is a Worcester (#834) from 1952. This little diner was custom-built to fit the lot. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was originally known as Jack's Diner and at some point became Genia's Diner. In 1981, it became the Main Street Diner. This Thai restaurant has been here since 2004. [map]

Ralph's Chadwick Square Diner
Worcester, MA
Ralph's Chadwick Square Diner is a Worcester (#660) from 1930. It is attached to a former brick firehouse which uses the upstairs as a nightclub. The diner was moved here in 1979 from Chadwick Square. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. [map]

Boulevard Diner
Worcester, MA
The Boulevard Diner is a Worcester (#730) from 1937. It still has the original oak and gumwood interior. This diner is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Miss Worcester Diner
Worcester, MA
The Miss Worcester Diner, aka the "Miss Woo", is a Worcester (#812) from 1948. The building across the street was the manufacturing plant for Worcester diners for many years. This diner is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Corner Lunch
Worcester, MA
The Corner Lunch is a DeRaffelle from the mid-1950s. It was originally located in Babylon, NY. In 1967, the diner was updated by Musi who lopped off about one third of the structure and put it in back for a kitchen. The diner was installed in Worcester in 1968. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. [map]

Worcester, MA:
Blanchard's 101 Diner [map]

Books:
Classic Diners of Massachusetts

MA (page 1) MA (page 2) MA (page 3) MA (page 4) MA (page 5) MA (page 6) MA (page 7)

Diners Main Page