email: roadarch@outlook.com

Wisconsin Art Deco & Streamline Moderne Buildings (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Appleton, WI:
Gibson Building

Ashland Jewelers
Ashland, WI
The Ashland Jewelers storefront appears to be from the 1930s or 1940s. It is faced with structural glass, commonly referred to as vitrolite. The top panels may be new since Ashland Jewelers wasn't established until 1979. The name was changed from Born's Jewelers at that time. For more, see this website. [map]

Strong Building
Beloit, WI
The Strong Building was built in 1923. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. [map]

Chester's
Beloit, WI
former Krambo supermarket
Green Bay, WI
Chester's was established in 1894 as the E.L. Chester department store. This building was constructed in 1936. It was renovated in 2006 and now houses retail space and offices. [map]

This former Krambo supermarket building now houses a Family Dollar store. It was probably built in the late 1940s or early 1950s. This photo is from 2011. Between 2012 and 2015, the tiles and the projection over the entrance had been removed. [map]

Juneau, WI:
Dodge County Title & Abstract

King on 5th Building
La Crosse, WI
Exchange Building
La Crosse, WI
The King on 5th Building was built in 1946. The name comes from the building's location at 505 King St. at 5th Avenue. [map]

The Exchange Building was designed by J. Mandor Matson and built in 1940. The building was financed by Frank Hoeschler. His name is faded but visible above the entrance. Hoeschler used his bull motif and favorite slogan "Forward La Crosse" throughout the building. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

State Office Building
Madison, WI
The State Office Building was built in three stages between 1931 and 1959. The main section was completed in 1939. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Quisling Terrace Apartments
Madison, WI
The Quisling Terrace Apartments was built as the Quisling Clinic. It was designed by Lawrence Monberg and built in 1946. The building was converted into apartments in 2000. The building was nearly demolished in 1998. [map]

Garnishes Catering
Manitowoc, WI
The Garnishes Catering building appeared to be empty when this photo was taken in 2011. I believe it was built in 1947. The building features vitrolite tiles and glass block. Does anyone know what was here originally? [map]

Pembine, WI:
Port Supper Club

Wisconsin
(page 2)
Milwaukee Art Deco Buildings
Main Page