email: roadarch@outlook.com

Washington Art Deco & Streamline Moderne Buildings

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Fire Station #1
Bremerton, WA
Fire Station #1 was designed by Floyd A. Naramore and built in 1939. These photos are from 2008. The building has housed the Pacific Planetarium since 2011. [map]

National Bank of Ellensburg
Ellensburg, WA
The National Bank of Ellensburg was designed by Carl Gould and Charles Bebb in 1930. The City of Ellensburg bought the building in 1937 and it housed City Hall until 2004. The building was restored in 2007. It is now known as the 420 Building and houses the 420 LOFT Art Gallery. [map]

Loudon Brothers Dairy Building
Ellensburg, WA
The Loudon Brothers Dairy Building, aka the Darigold Building, was built in the 1930s. Since the late 1990s, the building had been used as a musical rehearsal studio. In 2007, there was a fire which gutted the interior. The windows were boarded up and painted as seen here in this 2008 photo. In 2015, the building still appeared to be vacant. Traces of the painted sign can still be seen on the left for "Carmichael's Ice Cream" which was produced here. [map]

Klickitat County Courthouse
Goldendale, WA
The Klickitat County Courthouse was built from 1941-1942. For more, see this website. [map]

Pacific Telegraph & Telephone Building
Longview, OR
The Pacific Telegraph & Telephone Building was designed by Bebb & Gould and built from 1928-1929. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is now known as the Berg Building and is used as a private residence. [map]

Fire Station #41
Seattle, WA
Fire Station #41 was built in 1936. It is still in operation as a firehouse. [map]

Naval Reserve Armory
Seattle, WA
The Naval Reserve Armory was built as a WPA project from 1941-1942. The building was designed by William R. Grant and B. Marcus Priteca. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2012, the building was renovated for use by MOHAI, the Museum of History and Industry. For more, see this website. [map]

Asian Art Museum
Seattle, WA
The Asian Art Museum was designed by Carl F. Gould and built in 1933. The building originally housed the Seattle Art Museum. The main collection moved downtown in 1991. The Asian Art Museum opened here in 1994. [map]

More Seattle:
Exchange Building: 1, 2

Spokane Airport
Spokane, WA
The Spokane Airport Terminal Building was built in 1932. The clock tower was built in 1939. The neon sign is from 1943 and features a saluting gas station attendant. The letters below originally spelled out "Chevron" instead of "Welcome". The sign is no longer lit. The airport is still in use and now known as Felts Field. [map]

former Pay'n Takit
Spokane, WA
former Pay'n Takit
Spokane, WA
The first Pay'n Takit grocery store shown above was built in the early 1930s. It later housed a Safeway. The building now houses an antiques store. [map]

The second Pay'n Takit grocery store shown above was built in 1933. It also later housed a Safeway. Since 2005, the building has housed the Best Asian Market. For more, see this website. [map]

For more, see this website.

Tacoma Municipal Building
Tacoma, WA
The Tacoma Municipal Building was built from 1930-1931. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Pacific Telephone Building
Walla Walla, WA
The Pacific Telephone Building was built in 1936. [map]

Cascadian Hotel
Wenatchee, WA
The Cascadian Hotel was built in 1929. The building is now used for apartments. For more, see this website. [map]

Art Deco Buildings
Main Page