email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Missouri Art Deco & Streamline Moderne Buildings (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Boots Motel
Carthage, MO
The Boots Motel was built in 1939 as Boots Court. Arthur Boots also owned the Boots Drive-in restaurant across the street. In 2011, the motel was purchased and restoration work began. These photos were taken in 2012. In 2013, the sign was completely restored and repainted the original red color. It now reads "Boots Court" as it did originally. A replica air conditioned panel was also added to the bottom of the sign. The office building's gabled roof from 1978 was also removed. In 2016, the green neon detailing on the office building was restored. It is believed that the tubing was there from at least the late 1940s. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Doctor's Building
Columbia, MO
The Doctor's Building appears to be from the 1940s. [map]

National Guard Armory
Columbia, MO
This National Guard Armory was built from 1938-1940 as a WPA project. The building is now owned by the city and is used as a youth recreation center. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. [map]

Hall of Waters
Excelsior Springs, MO
The Hall of Waters was built from 1936-1937 as a WPA project. This health resort attracted visitors for the healing properties of its mineral water. In addition to bath houses, a swimming pool and sunroom, five varieties of mineral water were bottled here and shipped around the world. The building now houses government offices. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Crescent Jewelers
Hannibal, MO
Crescent Jewelers was founded in 1842. This vitrolite facade appears to be from the 1920s. For more, see this website. [map]

former Katz Drug store
Kansas City, MO
This former Katz Drug store appears to be from the 1930s or 1940s. The building appeared to be vacant when this photo was taken in 2012. It was still vacant in 2015. [map]

Katz Drug Building
Kansas City, MO
The Katz Drug Building was designed by Clarence Kivett and completed in 1938. It later housed Osco Drugs until 2006. The building has been vacant since then. [map]

unidentified building
Kansas City, MO
This unidentified building in Kansas City is across the street from the former Katz Drug described above. The upper floor is now occupied by "Harling's Upstairs Bar and Grill" and there are other tenants on the ground floor. Does anyone know the history of this building? For more, see this website. [map]

St. Stephen Baptist Church
Kansas City, MO
The St. Stephen Baptist Church was designed by Ernest O. Brostrom and completed in 1947. [map]

former Tower Dry Cleaners and Laundry
Kansas City, MO
The Tower Dry Cleaners and Laundry opened in 1944. These photos are from 2010. In 2016, the signs were removed. The building now houses Donutology. [map]

Kansas City, MO:
Federal Reserve Bank
Hotel Phillips: 1, 2
Liberty Memorial
Power & Light Building: 1, 2
Union Carbide Building: 1, 2, 3

Missouri
(page 2)
Art Deco Buildings
Main Page