email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Louisiana Art Deco & Streamline Moderne Buildings

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Baton Rouge, LA:
State Capitol: 1, 2, 3

Metairie, LA:
Mama's Place

Monroe, LA:
The Walkers

Gymnasium
Napoleonville, LA
Natchitoches Parish Court House
Natchitoches, LA
This Gymnasium was built in the 1930s. It was funded by the Public Works Administration. [map]

The Natchitoches Parish Court House was designed by J. W. Smith and Associates and built from 1939-1940. This building was also funded by the Public Works Administration. For more, see this website. [map]

Wormser's Department Store
New Iberia, LA
Wormser's Department Store occupied these two buildings. I can't find anything about the apparently older building on the left. It is now "Susan's", a women's clothing store. The Art Deco building on the right with the terrazzo floor sold "Smart Ladies' Wear". It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As of 2010, the building now houses Main Street Fitness. If anyone has more info, I'd love to hear from you. [map]

former Gus Mayer Department Store
New Orleans, LA
The Gus Mayer Department Store was built in 1948. Gus Mayer, a Southern chain, still has two operating locations (Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL). This store closed in 1987. Before Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the lower level was occupied by Footaction USA, an athletic shoe store. These photos are from 2006. By 2011, the ground level was occupied by a CVS drug store. Garish neon signs have been installed on the corner of the building. For more, see this website. [map]

General Laundry Building
New Orleans, LA
The General Laundry Building was built in 1929. In the 1960s, the building was used by the American Beverage Company. Later, it housed Southern Scrap Metal. It has been vacant for many years. Despite being listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the building is now threatened with demolition. [map]

Charity Hospital
New Orleans, LA
Charity Hospital was designed by Weiss, Dreyfous & Seiferth and built in 1939. Officially known as the Rev. Avery C. Alexander Charity Hospital, the building has been closed and endangered since shortly after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Eleanor McMain Secondary School
New Orleans, LA
The Eleanor McMain Secondary School was designed by E. A. Christy and built in 1932. For more, see this website. [map]

commercial building
New Orleans, LA
This commercial building was built in 1947. It continues to house multiple tenants. [map]

Blue Plate Foods
New Orleans, LA
The Blue Plate Foods building was designed by August Perez Jr. and built in 1941. Blue Plate Foods manufactured mayonnaise and sauces here. In 1974, Blue Plate was purchased by the William B. Reily Company. In 2000, Reily moved production to Knoxville, TN and the building remained vacant after that. These photos are from 2009. In 2012, the building was converted into loft apartments. The signs have been adapted to read "Blue Plate Artist Lofts." The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

New Orleans, LA:
Lakefront Airport
Mangel's

Municipal Memorial Auditorium
Shreveport, LA
The Municipal Memorial Auditorium was completed in 1929 and is considered the finest example of Art Deco in Louisiana. The building has been used for a wide variety of events over the years including circuses, rallies, sporting events, concerts and theatre productions. Elvis Presley began his stage performance career here in 1954. Statues of Elvis and James Burton are installed in front of the building. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Salvation Army
Shreveport, LA
Masonic Temple
Shreveport, LA
The Salvation Army building was built in 1932. This photo is from 2010. Around 2011, the building was converted into loft apartments. [map]

The Masonic Temple was built in 1937 and is considered Shreveport's best example of Moderne style. There was originally glass brick above the entrance. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. [map]

Lafourche Parish Jail
Thibodoaux, LA
The Lafourche Parish Jail was built in the 1940s. [map]

Art Deco Buildings
Main Page