email: roadarch@outlook.com

California Art Deco & Streamline Moderne Buildings (page 8)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Salinas Californian Building
Salinas, CA
The Salinas Californian Building was constructed in 1949. The Salinas Californian, the local daily newspaper, is the original occupant. [map]

Beverly Fabrics
Salinas, CA
This Beverly Fabrics building appears to be from the 1920s or 1930s. The owner believes it may have been either a J.J. Newberry store or a bank. Does anyone know anything about this building? [map]

San Bernardino Tattoo
San Bernardino, CA
Landeros Furniture
San Bernardino, CA
The San Bernardino Tattoo building appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s. Does anyone know what was here originally? [map]

The Landeros Furniture building looks like it might have housed a department store or supermarket originally. Does anyone know anything about this building? [map]

former Carlos Club
San Carlos, CA
The Carlos Club opened in 1922 as Tate's Tea Room. In 1947, the bar was remodeled and reopened as the Carlos Club with this sign and vitrolite facade. In 2014, new owners renamed the business the Rail Club. The sign was temporarily covered up and some of the neon was removed. Local residents and the city are fighting to keep the sign. As of 2015, the neon surrounding the "Carlos" letters is still missing. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

J&M Hobby House
San Carlos, CA
The J&M Hobby House building was built in 1936 for Dr. George Hein's residence and shop for his dental tools business. The building later housed the Carousel Little Theatre, Sequoia Printing, and other businesses. The J&M Hobby House opened here in 1969. [map]

Hotel De Anza
San Jose, CA
The Hotel De Anza was built in 1931. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Esslinger Building
San Juan Capistrano, CA
The Esslinger Building was built from 1938-1939 as a medical office. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

San Pedro Ballet School
San Pedro, CA
The San Pedro Ballet School has occupied this building since the late 1990s. The building previously housed Olaf Christianson's Norwegian bakery. It may have been a furniture store originally. It was built in 1935. [map]

Municipal Ferry Building
San Pedro, CA
The Municipal Ferry Building was built in 1941 as a WPA project. It was a working ferry terminal until 1963, transporting passengers and vehicles to canneries and military bases on Terminal Island. The construction of the Vincent Thomas Bridge eliminated the need for the ferries. The building then served as the headquarters for the Los Angeles Harbor Department. In 1976, the building was restored. It has housed the Los Angeles Maritime Museum since 1979. For more, see this website. [map]

San Pedro High School
San Pedro, CA
San Pedro High School had to be rebuilt after the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. The buildings were designed by Gordon B. Kaufmann and completed in 1936. For more, see this website. [map]