email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Brooklyn Carousels

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Prospect Park Carousel
Brooklyn, NY
This carousel is located in Prospect Park. It originally operated in Coney Island from 1912-1914. Charles Carmel created expressive horses with lifelike expressions. The lion, however, was carved by William F. Mangels. Carmel lived near Prospect Park and frequently visited the stables there for inspiration. The carousel came to Prospect Park in 1952. By 1983, it was in pretty bad shape and closed. In 1987, the Prospect Park Alliance raised money for restoration by seeking adoption fees of $5,000 for each horse. For their contribution, people were able to name a horse and have a plate with their name placed beneath it. The carousel was reopened in 1990. It also has a terrific Wurlitzer band organ. This carousel is a romantic tribute to Prospect Park with many panels showing park scenes from the early 1900s.

Jane's Carousel
Brooklyn, NY
Jane's Carousel was produced by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company (PTC #61) in 1922. It was originally installed in Idora Park in Youngstown, OH. In 1984, was sold and moved into storage in Brooklyn. Jane Walentas began restoring the carousel then. It opened to the public here in 2011. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

More Brooklyn Carousels:
B&B Carousel: 1, 2

NY (page 1) NY (page 2) NY (page 3) NY (page 4) NY (page 5)
NY (page 6) NY (page 7) NY (page 8) NY (page 9)
Manhattan Queens
Main Carousels Page

copyright: all photos contained at this website are copyrighted and may be used only with consent

RoadsideArchitecture.com