email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

New York Carousels (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Carousel [removed]
West Nyack, NY
The West Nyack carousel in the Palisades Center Mall was made by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company (PTC #15) in 1907. It is a 4 row with 54 jumpers and 4 chariots. This is the first PTC carousel with all the horses going up and down. It has resided in NY, OH, WI, OR, CA, and Vancouver, BC and was installed here in 1998. This carousel is famous for its hand-carved, deep relief carvings. It is listed on the National Register of Historical Places. The carousel's horses are exceptionally large and highly animated. The lovers' chariots are recognized as being among the best ever carved. The carousel originally had a Gavioli organ which was removed in the 1920s and survives in Europe. In 2009, the carousel was disasembled and put in storage in Oregon. The Nyack mall plans to replace this one with a modern, double-decker carousel.

Congress Park Carousel
Saratoga Springs, NY
The Congress Park Carousel was carved by Illions in 1910. It is the only two-row Illions carousel that remains intact. It has been in various locations in Saratoga County. It has 28 horses with real horsehair tails. In 1987, when the Kaydeross Park amusement park closed, the carousel was to be broken up and the horses auctioned off. Local citizens raised $120,000 to save the carousel. It was restored and reopened in 2002.

NY (page 1) NY (page 3) NY (page 4) NY (page 5)
NY (page 6) NY (page 7) NY (page 8) NY (page 9)
Brooklyn Manhattan Queens
Main Carousels Page

copyright: all photos contained at this website are copyrighted and may be used only with consent

RoadsideArchitecture.com