(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)
The Dentzel Carousel was built in 1896 by Gustav Dentzel for the 1904 St. Louis Exposition. It was sold to Meridian in 1909. It has 20 standing horses, eight menagerie figures (one lion, one tiger, two giraffes, two goats and two deer), two chariots, a Wurlitzer organ and original oil paintings.
The carousel was restored in the early 1980s. The carousel house is the only one remaining of Dentzel design and the carousel is the only two-row Dentzel still in operation. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.
|Herschell & Armitage Carousel|
This Herschell & Armitage carousel was originally installed at Fairyland Park in Greenville in 1901. This early carousel was steam-powered and considered portable. The "track machine" enabled the horses to move slightly back and forth (instead of up and down). There are 24 horses and four chariots.
This carousel was restored from 2004-2007. It is now inside the former Bass Junior High School and open to the public on weekends. The high school is being converted into a performing arts center and children's museum known as the "E.E. Bass Cultural Arts Center". For more, see this website.
Other Mississippi Carousels:
Endangered Species Carousel at Jackson Zoo (Jackson)
|Main Carousels Page|